Showdown

Blue Street

"Home, sweet home," Kyle Fletcher said after driving one of his luxurious cars into the Blue Street district. The big banner with a writing WELCOME TO GABRIEL'S GARDENS on a night sky background greeted one of the city's prominent citizens who returned after a mysterious trip.

"Yes, I'm glad to be home again," Marlene Sanchez said, sitting on a passenger seat next to Kyle. The girl was wearing a princess-style white dress with a back cleavage so deep that she appeared almost topless from the rear view. Marlene's shopping for fashion costed Kyle lots of money, but for him, it was still a drop in the ocean. He taught his girlfriend to satisfy only with the best. The money spent on the dress made from the finest white satin could feed a Morningstar citizen for two years.

Marlene couldn't realize that his love was only faked. Expensive gifts, handsome look, insincere romantic phrases and a night of passion every now and then were fortunately enough to prevent her for seeing the truth. He actually started to like her; he found Marlene's blind, unconditional love and naivety adorable, but he wasn't in love. He had different lovers. Power. Money. The feeling of being superior to others.

Of course, Marlene had proven herself useful a few times already. She was willing to do anything for him and he was fully aware of it. Satisfying his low desires so he could fully focus on his research was only one of the things Marlene was good at; at the beginning, she was cautious and insecure, but as the time passed, he taught her to accept more and more extreme practices. Nevertheless, he was still willing to sacrifice her any time if it meant succeeding in his plans.

She changed, he thought.

"Kyle, my dear?" Marlene purred. "I haven't seen my family in a while. My dad must be afraid... would you mind if I visit them, just for a while?"

"Sssh," Kyle replied. "Your family doesn't need you. They can't fully appreciate what you really are. When I met you, your beauty was smothered, you were insecure about yourself. Now look at you. Beauty and self-esteem literally radiate from you. It'll be the best if you just cut off everything from your past and focus on your future... your future with me."

Marlene gave Kyle a confused look. "What? You're saying that I can't meet my family? I just want to tell them I'm okay and happy! It won't take long. Kyle, darling, please."

"I am your family now," Kyle said. "You need nobody else, do you? With me, you have everything. Money, love, beauty, our private adventures. Those peasants would only try to drag you down again - and you definitely don't need that. Trust me. You're better with me."

There were times when Marlene would lash out if someone talked about her family like that. Now she only said quietly: "My family are not peasants. They love me, too."

"No matter what, I love you more. And now, if my plan comes together, we'll have everything we ever wished for. When it happens, I can even marry you if you'll say yes!"

When he mentioned marriage, Marlene's eyes brightened in a burst of joy. "I hope you'll succeed, my love," she said. "I'll do whatever it takes to help you. Even though... Kyle, I'm a bit afraid. Afraid that we're playing with forces we can't understand. Remember when we tried to summon Henry Rudger...?"

"That's past," Kyle interrupted her. "Now I'm more experienced. After those weeks with Maledictus..."

Marlene shivered. "Please... don't mention that man again." Upon hearing his name, the image came back to her mind - a tall man in a black robe with long dark hair and beard, with piercing ice-blue eyes and a third eye tattooed on his forehead.