Long Live the King

I cannot take it much longer.

Showing up in public is harder and harder, even a short dinner costs me nearly all my energy. I try to catch my breath again as I stumble into the dim-lit living room. The suit is heavy like it was made of lead, the tie is like a noose around my neck.

I collapse into my favorite armchair and finally let go. The face I show to the public is gone. Instead, in a huge mirror in the room, I see what I've become. I try to breathe with what's left of my nose. I want to grab something and smash the mirror, but it would cost me too much energy.

Every dose of youth I take lasts for shorter time than the previous one. Fortunately, I'll be able to save myself soon. Leave this vessel behind and start again.

However, I'm anxious. These obnoxious girls, HER daughters, are getting too close to the truth. They already know about Chance Arlington. This is only a step away until they discover the true circumistances of their birth. And then... if SHE returns...

Just a few years ago, I would simply say that they cannot stop me. I was too strong. But now... I will probably have to start with preemptive countermeasures, just to rule out the possibility my plan will be ruined by a punk tomboy and a lesbian nerd.

I have to rule out the possibility that SHE will return.

<<>>

"I think you're upset a bit, Annie," Alexis said. "It's almost June, the summer is coming... well, that's probably a bad point since summer tends to suck, but still. Do you have any reason to be unhappy?"

"It's probably just your imagination, I'm not upset at all," Anna smiled at her. However, Alexis was already skilled in reading the tiny changes in her girlfriend's facial expression. Her smile was tense and her eyes partially refused to smile alongside the mouth.

There was definitely something troubling the girl.

In a brief burst of selfishness, Alexis thought that she has the right to be upset in the first place. Just a few weeks ago, Alexis and Diane found out that there was a mysterious figure somehow connected with their past. Chance Arlington, also known as the King.

They learned that Chance possessed some kind of supernatural powers, much like the girls. It can't be a coincidence. Since then, the girls were trying to find any additional info about that person, but it seemed that the King is the city's taboo.

There were several links on the internet, but they were even more misleading. They were mostly far-fetched, gruesome-wannabe stories written by kids who were born long after the King disappeared; the girls were in doubt that these stories have anything to do with reality, especially these where the author describe their sexual intercourse with the mysterious murderer.

There was also a chain message saying that if you don't repost the message six times, the King's spirit will arrive and murder you at night. The girls didn't repost the message on purpose - if Arlington really appeared, they could ask him a thing or two. Sadly, the message didn't work.

The girls continued their walk through the Serenity Square district. Dante also seemed to enjoy the spring atmosphere even though his limited dog vision didn't allow him to see all the beauty of colorful flower beds all around the city and the blooming trees. Alexis also found it a little less enjoyable since she still suffered from her allergy, but as the spring went on, the symptoms grew gradually weaker.

While together, Alexis and Anna were usually engaged in an endless talk and laughter, kisses, confessions of their love. Today, the silence felt a bit awkward. Even Dante noticed the unusual tension between his human friends. The dog felt guilty he can't do anything about it.