Reunion

Reunion

She failed.

Well, to be exact, she did not fail. I have chosen her perfectly and gave her undying motivation to complete her task. But I underestimated the cunning of the infamous Warren sisters. I should not have. They are, after all, true daughters of their mother, so I could have expected that.

Using that crippled girl was a great idea. They would never suspect her, even though she started behaving strange and even broke up with her so-called girlfriend. A love between two women, how ridiculous. It was also her brother who is responsible for the fall of my plan. Together, they form a strong alliance. A force to be reckoned with.

Even though I would love to vent my anger and frustration on the crippled girl or her friends, entering her mind already cost me too much power. Sometimes I have to take two doses a day to prevent myself from falling apart. I remember my early days, where I happily invaded minds of the people and pushed them into a suicide or caused them a brain stroke if their health was undermined enough.

These days are long gone. Now I just sit here, barely able to move, looking at what I have become and bitterly realizing that even my gift which seemed perfect at first has its flaws. Flaws whose final destination can be even worse than death, the fate I feared so much.

But soon, this is going to end. I will be powerful again. I have to proceed with caution, though, since the Warren girls caught HER trail.

Gwendolyn Pearl, the creature of pure kindness and beauty, but also immense power. When I saw her for the last time, she was leaving the city on the verge of mental breakdown. But now, I'm aware that she regained her power. If she and her daughters join forces, they could possess a threat, considering she alone was able to deal with the pest known as Chance Arlington.

But there's still chance to keep her away from me.

<<>>

"It's frustrating," Alexis said. "If Anna was here, it would be just a matter of minutes. But since our computer expert is still indisposée, I have to search through every goddamn social network on the interned and see hundreds of women named Gwendolyn Pearl. And maybe I do it uselessly since it's possible she doesn't operate on any of these websites. And it's also possible that I already saw her, but since there was no photo, I couldn't tell that it's her."

"I know it's getting annoying, sis," Diane said, "but we mustn't lose hope! Mom had to leave us some trace so we can find her. It's going to take time, but..."

"It's already nearly two weeks!" Alexis lashed out. "Two weeks of Sisyphean job done while there's probably some evil mastermind after us and the girl I love is still a honorable guest in a mental hospital! You have no idea how many times I've been this close to just quitting this all and just... letting go. Mother, Anna, my powers, my carreer of a paranormal investigator."

"You would also have to abandon me," Diane said.

"And that's what keeps me from doing it." Alexis sighed. "Sorry, Diane. It's just too much for me to take recently. I just feel that something is coming at us like a Tsunami wave. That it's only going to get worse. It's like everything was against me. If there was at least one bright moment..."

"There will be one," Diane said. "When we reunite with our mother."

"And that's the only thing that keeps me going," Alexis said. "Reverend Warren did a great job as a parent, you can't deny that. But right from the start, we knew he's more like our caretaker than actual parent. He was already old when we came into his life, so there wasn't as much fun and excitement as there would probably be if we were raised by our real parents."