Nobody Can Save Me

For Alexis, even the most basic chores could become an adventure. All she had to do was to turn on her wireless speakers and play the songs by Sleeping Entropy.

Wiping off the dust from all the household items could be an exhausting, boring work - that's why Diane didn't even think about doing it. Anna, obviously, couldn't do that either since she wasn't able to reach higher places. That means that the long shift with a duster was up to Alexis.

Fortunately, she had already done the necessary to make her work more pleasant. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath as she heard the initial piano solo of the song Immortal. The main point of the lyric was that if you manage to do something great, you'll gain immortality - your name will be remembered even though you leave this world.

It doesn't matter if you change the world or wipe off the dust from the bookshelf, Alexis thought. The fact almost nobody appreciates it doesn't make my effort less valuable.

While listening to the music, she remembered the recent concert of Entropy she attended. Probably the best evening in her life, spent with Anna and her favorite band. She remembered holding Anna around her shoulders while singing all the songs together. Almost spiritual connection between Alexis, her best friend and all members of the band. It was a magical moment and she'll always cherish it in her mind, even though the concert was interrupted by an attack of a deranged shooter.

And for your words, for your deeds,

your legacy will not decease;

You're immortal, immortal...

Alexis was so dragged into the song that she almost stepped on Dante who began to curiously observe her work. "Bork, bork," he said, slightly offended.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Alexis said, grabbed the pup and moved him to his favorite couch. Dante yawned and immediately fell asleep. The girl appreciated his cuteness for a while, then returned to work.

As she expected, Diane entered the room during the second song. "Oh my God, Lex," she lamented. "Who's supposed to listen to this all day long?"

Alexis raised her eyebrows. "Do some cleaning, then. If you do, you can choose your own music."

"I'll rather listen to this nonsense yowling," her sister muttered and left the room. She locked herself in her own room and soon after, Alexis could hear muffled sounds of loud metal music blocked by the door. Fortunately, it wasn't loud enough to drown out Alexis' music.

Even though she was done with cleaning in less than thirty minutes, she let the whole album finish. It was Entropy's second album called Victorious, which was more uplifting and encouraging than the first, more depressing one. And encouragement was something Alexis needed right now.

There was still no news about Kyle and Marlene. She even searched the internet with Anna to find any possible info about their whereabouts, but they weren't successful. Kyle wasn't stupid. He clearly didn't want the people, especially the sisters, to know where he was, so he did his best to not leave any traces.

That could mean only one thing - he was onto something big.

One thing played in their favor - the moment of surprise. Kyle was certain that both girls are arrested for murder. Fortunately, Alyssa Lafayette, a police officer who was also their friend, made the case as discreet as possible, so there weren't any ways he could find out about it.

Unless he had some friend (or a bribed mole) in the Gabriel's Gardens police depot - which was highly probable. She was expecting the unexpected. She was ready for anything that life would throw at her.