Starting Again

Two weeks passed since Alexis and Diane's final fight with Kyle. Diane's sore muscles were almost healed and all she felt now were occasional aches. She was quickly recovering and returning to her old self. The same, though, couldn't be said about Alexis.

The girl still frequently complained about migraines, her usual diligence turned into disturbing passivity, she spoke only when necessary and preferred to be alone. Diane understood her. The brunette girl's injuries were more painful and some of them left scars, but Alexis' wounds went much deeper. Deep into her soul with only a little chance of complete recovery.

She was forced to kill, to mercilessly gun down her best friend, the girl she was in love with. Then she literally had to stop a demon from escaping his infernal dimension. And lastly, it was also because of her coming-out. She no longer kept a secret that she's attracted to women after she confessed her love to Marlene. Now, she's been trying to figure herself out, to accept who she is.

Diane understood her sister and gave her as much space as possible. She even did some household chores, which was an utterly unimaginable thing for her. Of course, Alexis also did the chores, but her usual verve was gone. She seemed like a robot, like her brain was operated by an autopilot. She also didn't stop cooking, but her meals were basic and bland, without a sign of Alexis' usual skills and imagination.

Diane didn't like it at all. Alexis' melancholic mood was contagious and Diane sometimes realized that she's having a hard time enjoying things like before. She didn't see Alexis smile in the past weeks - on the other hand, before she fell asleep, she heard muffled sobs coming from Alexis' room. Alexis probably didn't want Diane to know that she's crying herself to sleep almost every day and Diane didn't bring it up.

Even Anna's visits didn't raise Alexis' mood much. Oddly enough, Alexis seemed to avoid interaction with her rather than seeking it. The paralyzed girl was also confused.

"It can't go like this any longer," Diane said. She was alone with Anna in the impaired girl's room. She offered Alexis to come with her. She refused.

Anna nodded with a worry in her blue eyes. "I know that what happened to her was horrible, but her current condition still scares me. It's like someone... sucked her soul straight out of her. This is not the girl I used to know. And I want the original one back."

"So do I," Diane sighed, "but I'm afraid there's nothing much we can do right now. She needs time to recover; too many things happened in just one day. But honestly, it ruins me to see her this way. She doesn't even listen to music or play with Dante... I'm starting to be afraid."

"I just hope she won't end up with PTSD," Anna said. "That way, she'd never be able to recover completely. And I'm afraid that killing a person you used to have feelings for is an excellent trigger. I can't even imagine what would I have to go through if I had to kill one of you two. And we're not even speaking about the fight with Kyle and his demon which cost her almost all her power."

"That would break even much stronger people," Diane agreed.

"I think Alexis should seek professional help."

Diane shook her head. "That wouldn't work. Alexis is too proud to visit a psychologist. Besides that, what would she say? 'Doctor, I'm in immense stress because I had to kill the girl I was gay for and then I had to fight her boyfriend who was conjuring a giant, scary demon'?"

"Yes, that's true," Anna admitted. "Then I guess it's up to you. You are her sister, after all. If she's gonna listen to anybody, it's you. You should try to comfort her at least a little."

Diane sighed. "I'm no good at these speeches. I'm more likely to completely ruin it than to actually help her. That sucker Kyle... making trouble even from beyond the grave."