The Demon's Return

In a week after her arrival, Gwendolyn got accustomed to living with her daughters. And the girls did, too. For the first time after nineteen years, they were able to wake up and say: "Good morning, mom!"

The woman formed her provisional bedroom in a spare room the girls didn't have a good use for. Maybe they were secretly hoping for their mother to return all along. Gwendolyn promised them that she'll soon find her own housing, but for now, the girls wanted her to stay.

Alexis was relieved when her mother formed a beautiful friendship with Anna. Even though the impaired girl was younger by a generation, Gwendolyn and her were able to talk endlessly; it was almost like Gwendolyn reunited with her long lost friend, Patricia Lightfoot, reborn as Anna.

She didn't only accept her and Alexis' relationship, she was happy with it and fully supported it. She even told Alexis she understands why did she fall for Anna. If there were still some doubts about homosexual relationship in her, they completely disappeared by now.

Alexis cherished the words her mother told her the second day after she moved in: "There are so many horrible things you could become. A murderer, rapist, a person without morals, conscience or compassion. Feeling love towards anyone, no matter if it's considered 'normal' or not, makes you a wonderful human being and I fully support what you are. I understand love is not a choice. Twenty years ago, I found out myself. Who are you as a person is defined by your choices, not by things you can't influence."

When Alexis walked into the kitchen, she saw a smiling woman with loose, messy hair dressed in baggy white tank top and knee-long cotton shorts preparing dinner. At that moment, she looked like every other mother. Nothing gave away what did she go through. That she fought a demonic assassin and then spent many years recovering from depressions.

She looked happy.

During the past week, they encountered no attempts to eliminate Gwendolyn or the girls. However, they didn't start to hope the mysterious villain gave up. It was more probable he's somewhere gathering new powers, piecing together a new plan, more efficient than the previous ones.

Even though they didn't talk about it, they were afraid. But they didn't let their fear interfere with the happiness caused by their reunion. Like Diane said earlier: "Now we have an alternative mom, a nerd daughter, the troublemaker one, the artist annoyed by everything and a grumpy guy next door. Guys, we would make a perfect sitcom, don't you think?"

"Morning, mom," Alexis said. "How do you feel?"

"What do you mean, sweetie?" Gwendolyn walked into the living room with a bowl of fruit-flavored oatmeal, Alexis followed her with her own bowl. They sat on the couch.

"I can tell you're still feeling uneasy," Alexis said. "Do you... want to return?"

"Oh, the empathy," Gwendolyn smiled. "People say I'm empathic and it seems you inherited a chunk of it. Yes, I still feel a little uneasy, but I don't want to return. Yet. You two need me. And I can sense something sinister in the air. I didn't have another vision, but my instincts are telling me something big is about to happen."

"That's what my instincts tell me, too," Alexis admitted. Gwendolyn already knew about the mysterious man who invaded Anna's mind and did everything possible to stop her from returning. "Mom, I have to ask you... when the time comes, are you ready to fight?"

"I've spent nineteen years in peace," Gwendolyn replied. "Recovering, gathering powers. Yes, I am ready. I'll do whatever it takes to protect you."

"And you won't be alone," Alexis took her by the hand, touching her mother's hourglass insignia. Maybe it was only Alexis' imagination, but it seemed to radiate power which seemed to be sleeping. However, it was ready to awaken.