Vampire Guardian: Chapter 20.

Chapter 20.

Bury a Friend - Billie Eilish

Peter tried to explain as much as possible to me. He talked for hours and I sat and listened. For the first time since we met I felt like I knew more than a twenty-two year old man living on Long Island just to get away from "family" in Mississippi.

He's lived through so much but not as much as Collin. There was a point where he'd hesitate while talking then proceed to say other things. I was missing a part of his life that he didn't want to share but I didn't want to push anything on him. This was difficult on both ends. 

I just found out that vampires are real and one is standing right in front of me. I just wouldn't expect him or his friend, Collin to be one. However, I'm not as shocked as I would be if he said "I'm a serial killer". 

I sat in front of him with my eyes gazing at the floor.  

"So you kill to survive." I mutter to myself. 

"I already told you, Scar-"

"I know," I look up and I'm trapped in his eyes. "I was just saying it to myself."

"I guess vampires aren't as hot as you thought they were on television." He chuckles and I shrug.

"I mean, it doesn't make me think you aren't attractive." I blurt and he purses his lips into a thin line. "But the thing is nobody thinks you guys are real. So what we see on television is what they think and we find attractive and so hot that some guy is immortal. Until it's actually real in reality then the world stops spinning and everybody loses their shit."

"Like you earlier." He sits on the coffee table that's in front of me and I fiddle with the hem of my shirt. 

"Yeah, exactly. I don't know if you're just bullshitting with me right now and out of nowhere you're going to kill me." 

"Scarlet if I wanted to kill you I wouldn't have waited this long." I purse my lips into a thin line and raised my eyebrows. 

"Well that's good to know." Peter can't help it but laugh and I raise my eyes to him. "What?" 

"Nothing, nothing, it's just I've never really had to do this so it's just really weird." I stood up, cowering over him.

"Weird for you! This is weird for me! You watched me for my entire life and now we're here in the middle of this shit. Not to add that you aren't even alive-" Peter bows his head down and looks away from me. I sigh, reaching over and cupping his chin with my fingers. I raise his head and I stare into his eyes.

"I didn't ask for this." He mutters to me with absolute devastation. I nod my head and proceed to correct myself. 

"I mean, it's the truth. You aren't human and almost everybody on this planet doesn't even know you creatures exist. Just in folktales, movies, novels, that's all Peter. It's so unreal I feel like I'm still in a dream." I admit and he slowly pulls away from my hold. He stands and I take a step back so I'm not close. 

Everything that happened with us connects the dots. Everything and I can't stop thinking about it. Peter could've killed my dad after he hit me. He did have that quick speed and that strength, I thought I wasn't seeing it correctly. The man at the bowling alley, chasing us in the car. The times I felt like someone was stalking me in the dark. The time Peter was seriously ill when we were by the docks and he randomly scurried away after getting so close to me. 

"It doesn't matter Scar, now you need protection. I'll be here for you, I'm not going anywhere." Protection. It just sounds so scary that I need a guardian.