8

A few couple months had passed and it was getting colder outside.

One day, I heard Clint walking in the back door of the barn, but he wasn't alone.

I heard the hard noise of what sounded like hooves.

"Alright buddy," I heard Clint mutter, a stall door slid open.

I twitched my ear in his direction and lifted my head. I snorted in his direction and pushed around the shavings again.

The hooves stopped moving, "Who's there?"

I heard, that wasn't Clint...

I heard Clint trying to soothe the other horse into the stall next to mine.

He finally moved into it a few moments later, he peered through the window between our two stalls.

"It was you I heard," the older horse called to me.

I looked over at him, he was a chesnut quarter horse.

"Yes, that was me..." I told him a little hesitantly.

The last horse I'd seen was very violent towards me...

"Why are you laying down? And why the cone of shame?" he asked.

I moved one of my legs to reveal the sutures still in my abdomen.

Clint went in my stall and looked at them, "They itched and Clint wouldn't let me scratch," I told him, looking over Clint's shoulder.

"What's your name?" I asked.

The horse stood a bit taller, prouder as he said, "My name's Napoleon,".

I tilted my head, "That's an odd name for a horse,".

Napoleon deflated slightly, "It's what my previous master named me...".

I nodded my head, "At least Clint didn't name me, he named his dog Lucky, and Lucky isn't very lucky..." Napoleon trailed off.

I tilted my head at him, he seemed easily distracted.

Clint brushed shavings out of my mane and tail, picking a few out of my sutures before bidding both of us goodnight and leaving the barn.

Napoleon and I watched him go.