Chapter Three

Katie pulled up to the two-story, white picket fence house and parked her car. She unplugged her phone from the car charger and headed up the paved walkway to the red door. Her sister Annie just moved into her new home with her new husband Kevin about two weeks ago. She was 36 weeks pregnant with her first child and refused to tell Katie whether it was a boy or a girl. She rang the doorbell and waited only a moment before being greeted by the large belly.

By looks, Annie was practically just an older version of Katie. Annie was twenty-five, while Katie was just about to turn eighteen. She had blond hair, blue eyes, tall and lean, except for the belly she had carrying the baby. Katie leaned down and started whispering to the belly.

"What are you telling them?" Annie asked, putting her hands on her hips.

"I'll tell you when you finally tell me the darned gender, woman!" Katie exclaimed.

"Just wait and see, little sister." Annie said, moving so Katie could come inside.

"It's torture you know? I want to buy a bunch of stuff and now I have no idea what to buy!"

"Don't worry about that. You have college to be saving for!"

"Well, about that," Katie started. She reached into her backpack and pulled out the letter, and handed it to Annie.

"I knew you were going to win!" She exclaimed. "I'm so proud of you!"

"Thanks Annie," Katie said, sticking the letter back into her bag. "I thought about showing mom, but I don't know."

"How is she?"

"Practically nonexistent," Katie said with a sigh. "I've hardly seen her all week. I sometimes hear her bedroom door shut when she gets home for work, or see the coffee already brewed in the morning, but nothing beside that. You know, it's been a hard few years on me too. I just wish she'd try."

"Her blaming you like she does is wrong. Dad's death is no way your fault."

"I know, Annie. I stopped counseling a few months ago because I do know. It's just. I wish she would try to talk to me."

"Want me to say something?"

"No," Katie said shaking her head. "It's mom's choice. I'll be in college soon enough and I'm sure I'll qualify for a dorm or something. I'll figure it out."

"About that," Annie said. "I have something to show you."

Katie followed behind Annie as they walked up the stairs. They passed the closed door of the nursery where Annie wouldn't let Katie into because it would give away the gender of the baby. Instead they walked to one of the guest rooms. Annie opened the door and made way for Katie to walk in. She walked in front of Annie and looked around. They had furnished the room.

"It looks great Annie," Katie said, looking around. "I really like the colors you chose."

"Well, we chose them for you. I talked to Kevin. This is your room. When you graduate you can come here. We'll help you while you go to college and in exchange you can help with the baby."

"What?" Katie exclaimed. "Oh Annie, are you sure? You guys are newlyweds starting your own family. I don't want to be in the way of that."

"Listen to me," she said, sitting on the bed, and pulling Katie's hand to have her sit beside her. "I promised myself that I'm not going to be like mom. I'm not going to checkout and ignore my child, especially when they need me. I know you're not my child, but little sister, I'll always take care of you too, as long as you need me to."

"Thank you," Katie said embracing her. "This means so much to me. I promise I'll help with chores, and whatever else you need. Whatever I can do to make your life easier, I'm your girl."

"I know. Oh, did you mail off that last college application? Do you need help with the fee?"

"No, I was able to get it waived, but thanks. Oh, I put my prom dress to be shipped here, is that okay?"

"Sure, but why?"

"I saved up awhile for it. If mom saw the price I'm afraid she may get mad that I could've helped with rent or something."

"Is she asking for money?" Annie asked, concern plastered across her face.

"No, but, she's buying less groceries and writes her name on stuff, so, I started buying my own. It's just petty, but."

"Only a couple of months and you can live here and not have to worry about any of that."

"Thanks Annie, I really don't know what I'd do without you."