Chapter Seventeen

Annie stared at the urn that sat on the clothed table. Dozens of chairs staged to stare at it. She felt sick to her stomach. She had so desperately tried to find a way to have her buried next to their father, but there were no slots and no funds. Her mother hadn't returned any of her calls and every time Annie went to the house her car wasn't there. She felt her lip quivered, but quickly recovered. She didn't want to become emotional when there was still so much to do. Today was Katie's memorial, then the school memorial tomorrow and then she was scheduled to interview with multiple news sources. All of it was ridiculous. None of this should've been allowed to happen, but now she was an only child.

"Hey, what can I do?" Kevin, Annie's husband asked crossing over to her. He rubbed her arms as if she was cold. She brushed him off. She turned to him looking at the baby he wore on his chest.

"You're doing it," she said gesturing at Evelyn in his arms. "It's just so busy. Thank you for taking care of her."

"Do you want to hold her? Maybe it would help ease your stress?"

"Not right now," Annie replied. "I have a lot to do." She noticed Evan walking into the room. "Excuse me." She crossed over to him. He looked terrible. He was pale, his eyes had large heavy bags underneath him. Though she could tell he dressed nicely for the memorial, his posture sulked. "Evan. How are you?" she asked, trying to keep her voice calm.

He shrugged and she got a good look at his eyes. They were bloodshot and puffy. "What are you going to do with the ashes?"

"I was thinking of releasing them on my father's grave." His sigh told her to reconsider the thought. "Or? Did you have another suggestion?"

"Annie, her relationship with your father wasn't as good as you thought it was. I don't think that's what she would want. She loved to write and be out in nature. Why not let her free somewhere beautiful? Like Niagara Falls or something? She always talked about going there." He choked on his words. She felt her arms wrap around him as he sobbed into her shirt. She tried to keep composed, but could feel the tears shedding down her face.

"Okay," Annie nodded. "I will get her there. I may need some time, but I'll get her there."

"Okay." He wrapped his hands around his neck. He pulled out a necklace, with a ring that clung to it and showed her. "I was going to propose on graduation day," he said, as more tears made trails down his face.

"Oh Evan."

"I loved her more than anything. I don't know how to do this, Annie. I don't think I can."

"Evan. You should talk to someone. Those thoughts are not safe."

"I'm talking to people. The guidance counselor at school and another my mom has made me see every day. I just literally left from there and came here. None of it helps. How am I supposed to move forward when all my future was planned with Katie? We stayed up all night long talking about it. I have a voicemail that I've probably listened to a hundred times since she's died. All she says is 'Hey Evan. I walked by this cute house and I just couldn't help, but think maybe one day we would live in one like it. I know corny, but I love you. Well talk to you later!" I replay it repeatedly until I can fall asleep at night and then I wake up in tears."

"She was such a special girl. She loved you so much and I know that she'd want you to be happy. Maybe you can express these feelings in your art?"

"I'm done with art," he said, causing Annie's eyes to widen. "That lust for it disappeared when I saw her body on the ground and the cold eyes of that murderer."

"Just give it time. I'm sure you'll-."

"No!" He exclaimed, interrupting her. "I'm done. The last painting, I ever made was of Katie and I'm going to keep it that way. I promised her she'd see it and now she can't and never will. I'm done. Look, I just. I got to get a drink."

He walked off and towards where the refreshments were. Annie sighed and wiped her face. Her heart was heavy hearing the hurt in Evan. He was always so light and happy; he and Katie were perfect for each other from the start. Her heart sunk even deeper when she saw Linette. She was wiping her face as she entered. Annie crossed over to her and immediately embraced her causing Linette's sobs to grow louder.

"I know how you tried to stop him before he hurt someone else, you were so brave," Annie said.

"It wasn't soon enough to save her," Linette muffled through her tears. "Now what? Now what do I have without her? I keep getting told I'm a hero, but I'm no hero. I only cared about Katie and I didn't even save her. When I saw her, I shut down. I broke down and collapsed onto of her. I can still feel the way her cold body pressed against me. I can remember the way her arm lifelessly dropped from my grasp. Her image will never leave me and." Linette shook her head.

"I know how close you were. Please try and remember the good times you guys had together. I know how incredibly challenging all of this is, and I know it's an impossible situation that shouldn't have happened, but it did. We have to try and move forward."

"I can't. I won't," Linette said, her voice practically a whisper. She walked off without giving a reason.

Annie closed her eyes and took several breaths trying to gain her composure again. All of this was too much handle. All of it impossible. She kept thinking any moment she'll wake up, but she never does. The everlasting nightmare just continued.

When everyone arrived, she made her way up to the podium that was set up. It was setup behind the urn, so Katie was in full view, she felt her eyes focus on it. She looked up briefly and then returned her gaze.

"What do you say when you lose someone way too soon? Way too young? Katie Merryn was the happiest, most driven girl I knew and she always put herself in the position she knew would help the most people. She was just a teenager, even though she would soon turn eighteen she anxiously awaited prom where she'd go with her boyfriend of three years, Evan and her best friend of much longer, Linette. Despite our mother falsely blaming her for our father's death, she still worked towards mending that relationship. Our mother could not be here today because of her selfishness and there is nothing else to say about that." Annie knew the statement was inappropriate, but she refused to make any excuses for that woman. "Katie was incredibly excited to become an aunt and died before she ever got to meet my daughter Evelyn, who wouldn't be named that had I known sooner." Annie felt her breath hitch. "She should be Katie. I should have named her Katie." She felt her legs grow weak and she held onto the podium. Tears streamed down her face and Kevin came over and escorted her off the small stage and to a chair. He walked up and took the microphone. "If anyone has anything to say about Katie now, feel free to come up."