Chapter Fourteen

Evan's stomach was in knots. He had made it outside, being right by an emergency exit as the shots fired. He had never seen so many cop cars in his life. Ambulances started pulling in by what seemed like the dozens. Chaos was among them and all he could think of was why she wasn't answering her phone. He caught himself praying to a god that he didn't believe in. Praying that she was okay, that she would be out soon to embrace him. His heart jumped when he saw a guy walk out, handcuffs on his back. He was escorted by four cops and placed into a cop car. It was his chance. He took a different entrance and ran inside.

"Katie?" He called out. He felt his stomach drop at the blood everywhere. His breaths staggered as he walked through a hallway of bodies. His body shook and he felt himself against the wall. He used it to push himself through the hallway. He needed to find her. There were bodies everywhere. He felt himself grow ill, but he kept on. He made it to the turn in the hallway. Her bag was the first thing he saw. It was on the ground the contents of it poured out. His eyes moved up, so hesitantly. He saw Linette's body. He could see it raising and lowering, he realized that she was crying, but it wasn't any kind of cry he ever saw before. He tried to understand why. Why she was crying? He took a step forward and realized she was laying on top of something. Another second and that something transformed into Katie.

"KATIE!" He heard himself scream. He grabbed his chest, he could feel the break of his heart as he collapsed to the ground. "No! NO!" he screamed. Linette moved off her body. Her eyes were bloodshot and she was covered in blood, but he could tell soon enough it wasn't her blood. He shook his head, not ready to accept this as reality. He grabbed Katie's face. "No, baby no," he said, tears falling onto her face. He let go and her head fell back. "No!" he stood up and ran. He bolted out of the front door and to the cop car they saw him take the man in. He punched the window and was immediately grabbed.

"YOU SON A BITCH!" he screamed. "YOU TOOK HER FROM ME! YOU TOOK HER YOU SICK TWISTED SON OF A BITCH. I'LL KILL YOU! I'LL KILL YOU."

He felt the arms of the cops around him, but he pushed through. He was determined. He looked at him. The eyes of a stranger staring back at him.

"I LOVED HER AND YOU TOOK HER FROM ME. YOU TOOK MY KATIE!"

He was tackled to the ground. He heard a snap and felt an intense pain in his hand and handcuffs were slammed over his wrists. He didn't move. His face against the cement, he cried. His sobs so loud that his stomach ached. His head pulsated and his breathing horrific gasps.

"Katie," he managed to say before he was picked up off the ground.