Chapter Four

Katie woke up and went straight to the coffee pot. She poured herself a cup and looked on the fridge and saw her scholarship letter was covered by a piece of paper. Her heart jumped, thinking her mom saw the letter and wrote her a note. She tore the paper of the fridge, and instantly felt her heart ache.

"Going out of town this weekend. -Mom"

She threw the letter on the counter and sighed, sipping her cup of coffee. She pulled back in disgust realizing she forgot to add creamer. She opened the fridge and realized her mom used the last of it. She sighed, and put the coffee cup on the counter by the note. She pulled out of her phone and added "creamer" to her shopping list. She went upstairs and put on a black skirt and white blouse. She grabbed her bag and walked out to her car. She turned it on and saw the fuel on low.

"Dammit," she groaned. She rushed to the gas station and put in a couple gallons before rushing herself back to school. Evan was waiting in the parking lot shaking his head as she pulled up. "I know, I know!" She exclaimed as she got out of her car. "I was on low and had to get a couple gallons."

"Well, if you hurry you'll keep that record. Let's go!"

Katie had never missed a day of high school, or a single class, and she had a personal goal to keep it that way. Evan was supportive of that. She was up for a grant for college if she continued her perfect attendance throughout the rest of the year. She kissed him and rushed into her English class, where Mrs. Johnson shook her head humorously as Katie managed to walk in right as the bell rang.

"Still here on time!" Katie exclaimed, causing a few students to laugh.

"Take your seat Ms. Merryn," Mrs. Johnson instructed. "Today we will be switching papers and editing each other's work. So please pull out your five-year time capsule assignments.

Katie pulled out her assignment and ran through it quickly before being forced to pass it over. She took out her red pen and started reading through one of her classmate's work. She was great at editing, in fact it was one of the things she did for money. That and tutoring, which she did every Sunday. She marked a couple of things and wrote some reassuring notes on the bottom as they were instructed.

The class went through about three papers each before the bell rang. They turned in the papers they were working on to Mrs. Johnson before leaving. Katie started towards her next course when she heard some shouting. She turned and saw three guys corner another guy, who she couldn't see so well.

"What a freak. Men don't cry!" One of them shouted.

Katie's stomach sank. She wanted to stop them, but she wasn't sure how. She looked around, hoping someone would step in, but there was no teacher in sight, and no students seemed to stop.

"It'd be better if you just die, freak," another spat before they walked off.

Katie saw the boy curled up against the wall. He hid his face in his arms. She sighed and crossed over to him. She leaned down and placed a hand on his arm. He jumped, startling her. His fear seemed to vanish once catching sight of her. She saw he had a small scrape on his head. She opened her bag and pulled out a tissue, and poured a small amount of her water from her bottle onto it. She carefully cleaned it out and used another tissue to dry it off.

"I wanted to stop them. I should've. I'm sorry," Katie stated. "I just am terrified of fights, and. Are you okay?"

He nodded, not speaking.

"I'm Katie." She sat down next to him. "Those guys are assholes. Don't listen to them. You're not a freak."

"I'm Christian," he replied. "Thanks," he said, gesturing his head towards her tissue.

"Don't mention it," she replied, tossing the tissue in the trash can beside them. "They're wrong you know. Real men do cry. It's such a sexist and demeaning thing to say otherwise."

The bell rang, Katie looked up at the speaker and frowned. She knew that ruined her perfect attendance, but it shouldn't affect the grant possibility.

"You should get to class," he said, looking down.

"It's okay. I'll explain later. Do you want to talk about it? Or, about anything?"

"Why are you being nice to me?"

"I hate bullies. No one deserves that. If you need a friend, I'm here," she said smiling.

"It's just sometimes I get overwhelmed and I guess emotional."

"Like anxiety?"

"Yeah, maybe," he said. "Sometimes I get angry too."

"Have you talked to your parents about it?" Katie asked.

"My parents are dicks," he replied. "They are overbearing and controlling. I can't stand my parents."

"I have the opposite problem. My mom is never around and practically nonexistent."

"What about your dad?" He asked.

"He passed away," she said, bowing her head. "She blames me for his death. It's a whole thing." Katie sighed. "Anxiety happens to so many people. My best friend gets it. Just try and take a deep breath and maybe if you can take a different way to avoid those guys. Bullies are relentless."

"I wish someone would put them in their place," he said, clutching his fist. "I can't stand those assholes."

"Is that the only class they bother you in between?" Katie asked.

"It's the only time of day I see them, yeah." He pointed to the door directly across from them. "That's my class."

"Well, I have English right over there," she said pointing. "You could meet me and I'll walk you. My math class is right beside you. Maybe they'll leave you alone if you're with a friend."

"You would do that for me?" Christian asked, perplexed.

"Sure." Katie said smiling. "Why don't we take you to the nurse now. Your cut is bleeding again."

He nodded, and helped her up as he stood. Together, they crossed down the hallway and towards the nurse's station.