Chapter Six

Katie waited outside her English class looking around until she made eye contact with Christian. She smiled and waved, walking over to him.

"You really did wait," he said in a low tone.

"Of course, now let's go to class." She reached in her pocket for a small piece of paper. "Here. This is my number. You can text me if you want to talk."

He took the paper and looked at it. He nodded and tucked it inside of his pocket. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it," she exclaimed. "So, how are you today?"

"A little less terrible than usual," he said, smiling at her. "Thanks for doing this Katie."

'It's really no problem." Katie beamed.

"Oh, look who got himself a girlfriend!"

Katie looked up at the guy. Now that she got a good look she recognized it was Daves Richards and his two friends Tyler and Rick. She swallowed nervously. She tried to keep her head up, but as he walked closer she could feel her legs tremble. Christian didn't say anything, but he also didn't leave Katie's side. Daves circled them. Daves was over 6 feet tall and huge, he was on the football team and his size was extremely intimidating.

"Wait, aren't you with that artsy guy?" He asked standing in front of her. "I guess maybe the sweethearts didn't work out? I didn't realize you were single."

"I-I'm not," she hated that her voice quivered. Daves smiled.

"Shy, are we? I know it can be intimidating to be around such strong, handsome men like us, but don't worry I can take care of your needs."

"Wha-." Before she could finish her sentence, Daves pulled her towards him by arm. She tried to use her other hand to let go of his grasp. Her jaw was chattering against her teeth. He smiled and stared down at her making her blush.

"Quite the figure," he said taking his time to look over her slowly. "Wouldn't you say guys?" His friends whistled, causing her to feel humiliated.

"Enough," Christian exclaimed.

"Ah, so he talks!" Dave said with a chuckle.

"Leave her alone," Christian stepped forward.

"Christian, it's okay," Katie started to argue, but he didn't look at her.

"Let go of her arm." He ordered.

"Why should I?" Daves asked. "I think Katie and I are going to check out the bleachers. Maybe Tyler and Rick can join us.

"No!" Katie exclaimed, trying to wiggle out of his grasp. He snickered and tossed her backwards. Tyler and Rick caught her as she stumbled and held onto her arms. She felt her breathing turn erratic. She hated confrontation and now, what they were suggesting.

Christian looked at her. His look so full of anger that she could feel a tremble go down her spine. He looked up at Daves, his lips pinched together. "Let her go now!"

Katie felt Tyler's hand against her stomach. It started to move upward until it grazed over her breast. She thrashed around. "Hel-" Her sound was muffled as Rick's hand slammed over her mouth. She could feel tears welling up in her eyes. She heard Daves groan in pain. She turned and saw him fall to the ground clutching his crotch. She looked up and saw Christian walk over and punch Rick, causing him to let go of her. She nearly fell, but Tyler held her tightly. His grasp turning firmer on her arm. Christian turned to Tyler.

"Let her go," he ordered.

"I'm not scared of you, freak," Tyler said. "Katie here seems to be enjoying the attention. Isn't that right Darlin'?" He asked his hand touching the bottom of her skirt, slowly making its way underneath.

"Stop," Katie cried out. Christian grabbed her and yanked her so hard towards him that she stumbled into his arms. He caught her and stood her up. His fists were clenched and he was ready to fight them, but Katie grabbed his hand and started to run the opposite direction. She didn't stop until they were out the front doors of the school. Her breathing was chaotic and she could feel her entire body shake.

"Why'd you pull me away?" He asked, but she didn't process the question and embraced him. He stiffened, never wrapping his arms around her.

"Thank you," she breathed.

"It was my fault that happened at all."

"No, it wasn't," Katie exclaimed, catching her breath. She bowed her head feeling ashamed. "It wasn't your fault. They are responsible for their actions. You saved me. You could've ran off, but you didn't."

"Well, no I couldn't leave you there."

"No wonder you're so scared," she said sitting down on the step of the school. "That was so terrifying."

"I wasn't scared," Christian exclaimed.

"No, no you weren't. You were brave, but I was terrified."

His gaze softened and he sat down next to her. She blushed noticing his gaze on her skirt, which had hitched up slightly from sitting. She crossed her legs and adjusted her position causing him to avert his eyes. She knew he didn't realize she noticed him staring, but after that entire thing she was feeling self-conscious.

"I'm sure they're gone now," Christian said, breaking the silence.

"Okay," Katie stood up and he followed. They went back inside and headed towards their class. She wasn't looking forward to explaining why she was late.