Chapter Thirteen

Linette wasn't looking forward to her next class. Her test anxiety was kicking in and she tried to steady her hands to look through her flash cards one more time. A loud noise caused her to jump, dropping them all. Students around her froze and for a moment silence, before screams pierced their ears and they heard the rapid sounds, the gunfire exploding from nearby. Linette felt her heart thrashing against her chest. She looked around, looking desperately for somewhere to hide. She dived into a closet. There was a small square window in the room that looked out. She locked the door and bravely tried to see through the tiny square. The window had ridges making the images outside of it slightly distorted. She covered her mouth as if the shooter could hear her breaths over the gunfire. Logic left her, she couldn't bring herself to think straight. She could see students running. So many ran past her, but none stopped at the closet. She wasn't sure if she would be brave enough to let them in if they had. The shots grew louder. There was a round of several shots. It was then she saw the gun. She saw as the figure stopped. His back was to her. She could get to him. When he dropped the gun, she knew she had to do it. She unlocked the door and dashed. She ran faster than she ever had before and tackled him with all her weight. He fell to the ground and she could hear herself screaming for others to help her. A couple guys came over and kicked the gun away, holding him down on the ground.

Linette stood up and looked ahead and that's when she saw her. The body sprawled out in front of her. For a moment she could only see the blood. The puddle that surrounded her and the stain on her chest. Then, she saw her face and at that moment time stopped. Her legs gave out and she couldn't talk. Her breaths taking over the place of words as she crawled over to her.

"N-no," she stammered. Her body was shaking so hard that when she picked up Katie's arm it shook viciously. She dropped it and stared. "No." Her voice was quieter. "K-Katie..." Linette turned away and vomited. Her hand clutching her stomach trying to take a breath, but not being able to. "Katie," she whispered again. She placed her hand on her chest, hoping, praying for movement. It was still. Her lip quivered and her knee slipped on the blood on the ground. She collapsed over her and could hear her sobs through the gasps of breaths she took. She felt Katie's blood seeping from her lifeless body into the clothes Linette wore. She placed her ear on her chest, hoping her hands failed her. She listened for a sound, a beat, anything, but there was nothing, but silence.

There was nothing, but silence.