Chapter 7 - Surveying Enemy Territory

Thoughts on Lottie?

~D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lunch had arrived and I could finally catch up with my best friend, Dee. She hadn't been in any of my classes and truth be told, I missed her dearly. Not much had happened since I met Lottie. I spent third and fourth period alone and now I was heading to my locker to collect the delicious mozzarella and tomato sandwich I had made for myself. Just the thought of it caused drool to seep from my mouth.

I reached my locker and swung open the door, into a human being. I prayed to god it was just a stranger, someone I didn't know. Could the fates be this cruel to me?

"You!" an ugly voice snarled at me. Yep, for the third time today I had coincidentally ran into that annoying idiot Grey Black. And now I had rammed my locker door into his arm.

"It was an accident!" I explained, my voice strained.

Grey rubbed his arm, before catching sight of my lips.

"I see my mark hasn't faded," he teased, his finger tracing the spot he had bitten down on.

His comment made me furious. I don't know what overcame me, but a second later my teeth met his finger and I crunched down hard on it.

Grey's blue pupils widened considerably in shock, shocked at both the pain and the audacity of my actions.

"Shit!" he swore loudly, retracting his finger in seconds and placing in his mouth to suck.

I raised an eyebrow. A teenage male was sucking his finger in public? And he was supposed to be bad boy?

"Emerald, can't you take a hint?" he boomed fiercely, removing his finger from his mouth.

"Can't you?" I retorted, refusing to give in.

"And what hint might that be?" Grey teased, stepping closer so that our faces were inches apart.

"That I want nothing to do with you!" I shouted, emphasising the word "nothing" through a jab in his side with my index finger.

Grey smirked, raising his hand to his chest as he feigned hurt. His blue eyes faked emotion, welling up with artificial tears. His eyes were a mysterious shade of blue; I couldn't tell if they were turquoise or navy, or even sky blue. Maybe they were a mix.

"You wanna stop staring, Emerald?" Grey piped up from in front of me as I snapped out of my trance.

Oh crap, had I been staring into his eyes? Oh god, I had. This is so embarrassing.

"I wasn't!" I denied, walking away furiously.

"Yeah right. I know I'm irresistible." Grey replied smugly from behind me, before he also walked off.

Trying to put Grey Black out of my mind, I hopped over to the cafeteria to meet my bestie.

She was sitting at a table with a lunch tray and someone I had never seen before. And it was a guy!

I waggled my eyebrows at her suspiciously. Had Dee found the one?

Dee went slightly red and narrowed her eyes at me as I sat down opposite them. She had brought to our table a guy with dirty blonde hair and green eyes. He seemed cute, and for some reason he looked really good next to Dee. Maybe the two of them would end up together? I wanted to make it happen.

"Hey!" I greeted the two of them, giving the blonde guy my widest smile. I hope he knew he was welcome and that I approved of him being my friend's friend.

"Hey," the guy replied, as Dee opened her mouth. I assumed she was going to introduce us to each other.

"Steve, this is my best friend Emerald Redbourne, but we call her Emma." she began, turning to Steve and gesturing to me, then her eyes fell on me as she gestured to Steve, "and this Emma, is Steve Gold."

I nodded in understanding and gave Steve another smile, which he reciprocated.

"So Steve, how are you liking Colebrook?" I asked the guy, trying to make small talk.

He scratched the back of his head awkwardly. My eyes reverted to Dee, who had the same awkward look on her face.

"What is it?" I questioned the two of them, fearing the answer.

Dee decided to do the honours of filling me in.

"Steve isn't new, he has been here as long as we have, Emma." She informed me, as I sunk down in my seat. Well, this was awkward.

I had to apologise.

"Uh, I'm sorry, I don't think I've ever seen you around..." I mumbled quietly as Steve chuckled.

"It's ok," he reassured me, giving me a toothy smile.

I twiddled my brown hair uneasily, hoping some miracle would occur and make this more bearable.

"Emmie!!" A voice from behind me sounded.

Before I knew it, two small arms had wrapped themselves around me and I could only reply with a strangled whisper.

"H-Hey... H-Heidi."