Chapter Twenty Four

"Miss, I still can't believe that you're getting married." Xiao Yu wiped the tears that fell on her cheeks.

Me too. This feels unreal.

"Miss, it felt like you were just a child yesterday and suddenly, you're a grown lady." Xiao Yu added.

In less than a week, I will be marrying the first prince. I thought it would take us months before getting married but the Emperor sent his eunuch to pass the message that in five days, Chen Mu and I will be bowing to the heaven and earth.

According to the Emperor's aid, it is an auspicious day to celebrate the said happening. But I can tell that they were rushing our marriage for the sake of Chen Heng Li as it turned out, the rumors were true.

Shu Ming An will be given the crown princess status. I can't help but feel bad for Ming Shu. Its expected though as Ming Shu was just a servant compared to Shu Ming An who is the daughter of a prime minister. If ever, the most that Ming Shu can get is to be a low-ranked concubine.

Ahh, female lead, what should we do?

Scratch that.

I mean, what should you do?

I'm sorry but I don't want to get involved anymore.

"Xiao Yu, stop crying," I handed her my handkerchief and patted her hand, "do you want me to find a suitable husband for you?"

Xiao Yu's eyes widened as she vehemently shook her head in refusal, "Miss!"

"What? Don't you want to be a good wife and a good mother? Do you want one of father's soldiers? Or maybe the housekeeper at the Bai Household?" I teased her.

"Miss, stop teasing me. I don't want to get married! I will only follow you and spend my lifetime serving you." Xiao Yu exclaimed in full resolution.

Xiao Yu, I'm lucky to have you.

"But if you ever find someone, don't hesitate to tell me." I reminded her and gave her a hug. We both ended up crying.

Xiao Yu slowly dabbed the handkerchief on my cheeks and asked me, "Miss, are you really going to marry the first prince?"

I nodded.

"Don't you want to be a crown princess?"

I shook my head.

The female lead is already present and in addition to that, there is also the presence of the new character. What else would they need me for?

"Xiao Yu, the crown princess status might look appealing but it isn't that simple."

With my petty schemes and Xiao Yu's innocent personality, we will be wholly devoured inside the harem. Though Chen Mu loves teasing me, he's still the better choice.

Though Xiao Yu didn't fully understand what I meant, she didn't push on the matter.

"Miss, is the General coming?"

"Yes, he will arrive a day before the wedding."

Father has sent me a letter telling me that he will be there on my wedding day and he also asked for forgiveness because he wasn't by my side. I already sent back a letter telling him not to worry and to take care of himself.

Just then, a servant came rushing to my courtyard, "Princess, come quickly."

"What happened?" Xiao Yu asked in confusion.

"There's a long parade happening outside the manor!" The servant answered in excitement.

"Go ahead. We'll follow." I dismissed the servant and Xiao Yu helped me cover my face with a veil.

As we walked down the halls, I noticed the servants hanging red lanterns and other red decorations all over the manor.

Wow, it looks festive.

As we arrived at the manor's entrance, a lot of people have already crowded and were chattering about the grand parade. When a guard noticed my presence, he quickly informed me of the situation.

My eyes widen in surprise seeing the long queue of people carrying the gifts. There were more than twenty big chests with red ribbons in line.

Even Xiao Yu was in disbelief. She has never seen this amount of betrothal gifts in her entire life.

Chen Mu, isn't this too much?

"Miss, the first prince is so generous." Xiao Yu whispered.

You mean ridiculously extravagant.

A eunuch approached me and gave me his greetings.

"The first prince sends his betrothal gifts and asks for the princess' forgiveness as he was not able to come himself. But the first prince also mentioned that if the princess is not satisfied, he will send more." The eunuch stated.

My brows furrowed.

What does he mean he will send more? This is already too much! How am I supposed to equate this with my dowry?

"Bring them in."

It took them an hour to bring the gifts in, empty one of the guest rooms and stack the wooden chests. I thanked the eunuch and they went on their way.

"Miss, are you not going to check the contents of the chests?" Xiao Yu excitedly asked, eyeing the full room.

If we did, it would take us forever.

I sighed.

"Xiao Yu, take off the red ribbons." I instructed her.

Xiao Yu did as I told her. She gathered all the ribbons and brought it to me.

"Now, let's put back the ribbons but in a different way so it wouldn't be that obvious." I said as I walked to the chests and began tying knots.

Though confused, Xiao Yu helped me. After retying the ribbons, I smiled in satisfaction.

"Miss, why did we do that?" Xiao Yu asked as she looked at me weirdly.

"Its for my dowry." I simply said.

"But miss..."

If I have to pack my own dowry, it would take me days before I could finish and I'm running out of time.

"Xiao Yu bring the servants with you and send this back to the Chen Manor and tell the first prince that its my dowry."

Xiao Yu nodded and sighed in disappointment. She went out and called the male servants to carry the chests.

When everything was ready, Xiao Yu came back for last instruction. I took a last look at the gifts.

Should I send everything back?

It looked like the chests contained some precious items.

"Xiao Yu, tell the men to bring back half of the chests."

I'd better keep some of it. I might need it in the future. I'm sure Chen Mu doesn't need much of my dowry anyways.

"And oh, tell the first prince that if he isn't satisfied, I'll send him more."