9. Landon Anderson

"Mr. Hayes, Mr. James is here." Paisley's replacement, Jasmine, walks into my office.

"Thank you." I don't look up from the paperwork I'm reading. I know if I do, I'd just see her standing there in a skirt that's too short and three too many of her shirt buttons undone.

"Is there anything else I can get you?" I see her sit down on the edge of my desk.

"No, thank you." I keep my eyes glued to the paper.

"Well," She breathes, leaning in. "I'm right outside if you need me.

"Just send Mr. James in and hold my calls."

After a few moments of silence, she gets off my desk and I hear her tell Mr. James I can see him.

I hear footsteps and stand, straightening my jacket.

Mr. James is one of our most important clients. He owns dozens of hotels in the U.S and is planning to open some in Europe. Today, he's consulting with me about having a new one built here in New York.

"Sebastian." A man, around my age, with dark hair walks in.

"Uh," I'm about to tell the guy he's in the wrong office when he thrusts his hand forward.

"Cameron." He says as I take his hand. "I'm the junior James." He chuckles.

"Ah." I nod in understanding. "It's nice to meet you Cameron. Please," I motion to the seat in front of my desk. "Have a seat."

"My father sends you his best wishes. Unfortunately, he had better things to do than come to a stupid meeting."

I laugh as he relaxes in the seat.

"Really though, I'll be taking over a lot of the day to day operations for my family's company. So, you'll be seeing a lot of me."

"Sounds good." I sit up straighter and clear my throat. "So, tell me about your new project."

"As you know, my family is looking to expand our hotels into Europe." He pauses and I nod, being a part of their expansion is very import to my family's business. "Well, we're currently looking at another construction company to form a contract with."

Before I can say anything, he continues.

"Now, I know we've been doing business with Hayes construction for years but I would like to look at one other company before we enter such an extensive contract with you."

Extensive contract? I thought he wanted to us to build a house...

"I will be having Hayes Construction and another company both build me a home for my family. Whichever company builds the better house will receive a ten-year contract with my family."

My brows furrow. A competition seems so childish...

"I know it seems silly and childish, but my son, Alexander, suggested it." A small smile comes to his face and I remember that he just adopted three children.

"Well, it certainly seems interesting." I choose my words carefully. Making fun of his son and offending him probably isn't the best idea.

"It's stupid." He laughs. "But also genius."

"No, yeah, it's a good idea." I struggle to word what I'm trying to say. A ten-year contract is honestly the best thing that could happen to my family's company. "Do you mind me asking which other company you're competing with?"

"Anderson Architecture." He replies and I almost choke.

"Landon Anderson's Anderson Architecture?"

"The one and only."

Landon Anderson is the biggest douche bag around.

He was my college roommate, we were kind of friends then. That was before I realized how sick he was; sex tapes and bets on women.

I'll be the first to admit that in college I slept around... a lot. Yes, I used women but they always knew what they were getting into when they were with me. Something quick and meaningless. Landon though, he liked to pretend he'd changed, and then shatter girls' hearts.

As far as I know, he hasn't changed.

"Anyway," Cameron sighs. "Lets talk figures."

——

*One Week Later*

"Sebastian Hayes."

The receptionist looks at her calendar. "Oh, yes," She picks up the black phone from her desk. "Mr. Hayes is here." She listens a moment. "Yes, sir."

She hangs up the phone and stands up. "If you will follow me."

She really doesn't seem like the kind of assistant Landon would have. I figured he would have one like Jasmine. Which reminds me, I need to hire a new personal assistant.

When we walk into Landon's office, he looks away from his computer and stands up.

"Sebastian, it's been awhile." He reaches out and I give him a firm shake. "Thank you, Amber, that's it."

His assistant, Amber dismisses herself and we both sit.

Landon speaks first. "I'm sorry it took so long for me to meet with you; I just got back from a month-long vacation in Australia." He gives me an odd smirk after finishing his sentence.

Is he trying to brag about a sex spree? This dude is still sick. I hope my frown shows my disapproval.

"Well, thank you for meeting with me. I just figured it would be a good idea to catch-up since we will be competing for the same contract."

"Ah, yes, building a family home for a ten-year contract with the largest hotel company in the U.S." Landon chucks. "Just some friendly competition. By the way, are you sure you're ready for such a daring task? I mean, you did just get divorced, didn't you?"

His mouth is begging me to punch him and his eyes hold a dare.

"I assure you I'm up to the task." I tell him through clenched teeth. "Also, once Paisley comes back from vacation we will be working on our marriage." I may have just spouted a lie, but I'd like to think Paisley will give me a chance once she comes home.

"Well then," He laughs. "If that's what you're planning; I look forward to your ex-wife's return."

***

Ohhh. Thoughts?

This story reached 1,000 reads today!

Vote! Comment! Share!