17. Secret Operation with Sage

Maybe read the previous chapter to refresh?

"Sacani ." I growl into the phone when it's picked up after two rings.

"Sebastian, it is ten o clock on a Friday night. I suggest you watch your tone." She calmly responds. "I helped bring you into the world and I sure as hell am not scared to take you out of it."

Rolling my eyes at my pseudo-grandmother. "Hello Laura, how is your evening going?" I grit.

"Marvelous sweetheart, I just handed a seven pound baby girl to a family with four boys. Now was there something you needed?"

"Paisley had a DNA test done?"

"Oh hon, I'm sorry, that's confidential."

"Laura, it's me."

"It doesn't matter Sebastian, I'm sorry, I can't give you any specific information." My fist angrily grips the phone. "But, if a patient that I cared about were to ask me to personally handle anything, then I would make sure whatever it was never left me sight and I would make sure they got the accurate results." She says the last few words slowly.

"Thanks Laura." I mumble more confused than before. Henry is the next number I dial.

"Yes?"

"Here. Now."

The line is silent for a moment before he speaks. "Ten minutes."

There's a knock on the door moments after the call clicks to an end.

"Mr. James," a voice I didn't except to hear precedes another knock. "I know you're in there."

Silently, I open the door. The young woman on the other side takes a step back.

"You're really screwing up this whole winning her back thing." Sage Coleman smirks. "So your PI couldn't find me but Landon's could. Aren't you richer?" She walks past me, into the apartment, before turning back and looking at me again. "Shouldn't you have the better PI?"

Not answering her question, I march passed her to the kitchen. On top of the black granite countertop lies a folder. Wordlessly, I hand it to her.

She squints as she reads the contents of the folder.

"That's me..." she mumbles softly. "I had all those injuries but..."

"So you understand my... abruptness?"

"I do." She nods. "And I appreciate it. My sister deserves your concern. I was adopted by a family who cares, she wasn't. She needs someone who cares."

Yeah, I think nodding. And if it's Landon then so be it.

"Which is why I'm gonna help you get her back."

My head jerks. "What?"

She studies me momentarily. "Oh my gosh, you were going to let marry Landon!"

There's a knock on the door and Sage sprints toward it before I can answer.

The short answer being yes.

"Henry," Sage sounds shocked. "Um, Henry?"

"Miss. Coleman." Henry sounds even more shocked than Sage and when I approach the door he looks like he's seen a ghost.

He clears his throat when he sees me. "Mr. Hayes."

I'm furious. He knows more than he's letting on.

"You have one chance, and I will consider not suing you for every cent you will ever earn."

He gulps. "I was still find information on Sage and Landon Michael" my fists clench at the mention of his name, I should have fucking known. "Approached me and told me he would pay for my wife's medical bills if I just told you Miss. Coleman had died and stopped looking."

My fists shake by my sides.

"You-"

"Mr. James, my wife is sick. You pay me excellently but it wasn't enough..."

"Well I hope he continues to pay because I will make sure you are never hired anywhere again." I'm furious, he ruined everything.

"Mr. James-"

"Your are fired, you will never work for me again. I will make it so you never work in New York again." As I finish my promise my eyes connect with Sages.

"Mr. James, please," Henry begs.

"Get out." I growl, turning toward the kitchen. I need a drink.

Moments later the door closes softly.

"Damn." Sage whistles lowly.

"Whiskey?" I offer.

"Thanks. So... um... I don't think you're gonna win my sister back that way.."

I shoot her a glare. "Did you miss that conversation? He could have found you over a year ago. How are you not pissed?"

She shrugs. "It's wasn't meant to be then I guess. But I'm here now. And the perfect time. We gotta stop the wedding that's next month."

"I'm not stopping her wedding."

"Um.. Landon paid your PI not to find me... You're gonna let her marry him?"

I should... "She loves him, not me."

"You're a dumb-ass..." She shakes her head. "No, you two need to get back together."

"Operation get rid of Landon." She grins, and I'm shocked with how much she looks like Paisley.

"The secret operations of Sage and Sebastian..." I grin back at her. "I like it."

***
Well.. I'm back?