VIII

Eggshells and Thin Ice

Cheryl and Rosemary watched the River Vixen perform their routine, Rosemary hating Cheryl's chosen choreography. All the vixens were in two lines with their rears facing the center, doing some type of sad twerking, while Veronica went through the center with her own choreography that her, Cheryl, and Rosemary would share. Cheryl huffed and turned off the music, walking in front of them and crossing her arms.

"Stand down, Vixens," Cheri said in disgust. "And listen up. The weather's predicting a downpour the night of the rally, but already, you're raining on my parade."

Rosemary didn't even have the energy to tell the Vixen girls that, despite what anyone said, they did a great job and how it was all about having fun. But because of her episode less than an hour prior to their practice, she was completely out of sorts.

"With Jason so present in our collective consciousness," Cheryl continued as she paced back and forth. "All eyes will be on me. Will this beautiful, exotic, hothouse flower drown under the town's scrutiny, or be swamped by her emotions? The answer, ladies, is 'no' and 'no'. That said, I need star power. I need the Pussycats. Stay loose and limber, ladies, while I make a call."

Rosemary saw Veronica and Betty go sit to stretch and when Veronica's eyes landed on the distraught blonde, she waved her over with a smile. Rosemary was hoping to call Jughead during their break, but sighed and walked over to Betty and Veronica.

"After his practice, I'll totally need a pedicure," Veronica complained but also sending Betty signals. "You?"

Veronica sat and took a sip out of her water bottle while Betty sat next to her bag. Rosemary went into a straddle and laid all the way forwards so her entire stomach was on the ground and her head was resting on her good hand.

"I'll have homework," Betty sighed in disappointment. Veronica nodded and also went into a straddle and leaned to her right,

"I know everyone grieves differently," Veronica sighed. "But Cheryl's hosting a pep rally to cope with her loss. That's either brilliant, or psychotic, or both."

Rosemary glared at the raven-haired girl, her hazel eyes narrowing down at her as she sat up and swung her legs around so she was kneeling, reaching into her bag and taking a sip from her water bottle, which did not have water in it.

But before she could say anything, Betty Cooper beat her to it.

"Yeah," Betty sighed. "Well, at least Cheryl's not putting on an act. Pretending she's a butterfly when she's really a wasp."

Rosemary took another long sip of her drink, casually sitting back and watching the two friends begin to go at each other's throats without her even needed to provoke them.