XVIII

The Belly of The Beast

"A-And my dad said that after Polly and Jason got in a bad fight Polly she... she tired hurting herself," Betty told Rosemary and Jughead in the student lounge "That's why they sent her away."

Betty had just told Jughead and Rosemary about what her dad told her about Polly and what Trev told her about Jason. Apparently, according to Trev, Jason started selling all of his stuff and started dealing drugs a couple weeks after he and Polly got together.

"Betty," Jughead shook his head. "I'm sorry. That's hardcore."

"That sounds awful, Betty," Rosemary rubbed Betty's back comfortingly.

"I asked my dad if I could call Polly," Betty shrugged, Rosemary still rubbing her back. "He said she was doing better, but then, when she heard about Jason's death, she had a big setback. He doesn't want to risk another one."

"Why does the rich kid sell drugs?" Jughead asked out loud.

"He was running away from his parents," Betty shrugged.

"Yeah," Jughead sighed, getting up from his chair. "Probably. Or drug dealers."

"Oh my God," Betty muttered. "Is that possible."

"It's a theory," Jughead shrugged and Rosemary nodded, getting up and buying a candy bar from the vending machine.

"The most likely one," Rosemary added. "Just think about it. Maybe Jason had a drug deal gone wrong and when he explained to Polly that he had to leave and why that triggered her to do what she did. Then, after Cheryl dropped him off across Sweetwater River, the drug dealers got him and killed him."

"No," Jughead shook his head. "I think Betty's is more likely, but why would he have to run away from mommy and daddy?"

Rosemary frowned, wondering why Jughead decided to disagree with her. She opened up her candy bar and broke off a square, quickly beginning to eat it.

"Because they're monsters," Betty shrugged.

"Yeah," Jughead nodded. "But why, specifically."

"Well," Betty shrugged. "We can't exactly just ask them."

"So we have to ask Jason," Rosemary spoke up. 

Jughead and Betty both looked at her in confusion. Rosemary rolled her eyes and put another piece of chocolate in her mouth and placing the candy bar on her lap, quickly beginning to gather her hair and tie it into a ponytail behind her head.

"Are you proposing a seance or..." Betty eyed Rosemary, who shrugged.

"No," Jughead shook his head, answering for Rosemary. "Dead men tell no tales."