XXXVI

Sweetheart

Sweetheart

"What the hell is Secrets and Sins?" Jughead asked from his spot leaning against a glass side table in the living room. Everyone made a huge circle and inside sat Betty, Archie, Veronica, and Rosemary.

"It's a variation on Truth or Dare," Cheryl told not only him but the whole party so everyone understood the game. "In which we own our truths. By telling it like it is. I'll start the game with Veronica Lodge."

"Naturally," Veronica muttered, sending Cheryl a glare from her seat as she kept her composure in front of the crowd.

Rosemary was obviously overwhelmed. She sat on her seat with her bare feet crossed as her ankles, shuffling in her seat ever so slightly every few minutes and twiddling with her thumbs in her lap or tugging and twirling her air. She was biting her lip as she eyed Cheryl and Chuck, who was standing in front of Veronica, Rosemary, Archie, and Betty with smug grins on their faces.

"Let's being," Cheryl continued. "With the day you and your mob wife of a mother came to town for a so-called 'fresh start'. Tell us, Veronica, what's so fresh about defiling Archie Andrews in a closet?"

"That was your doing-"

"Moving on," Cheryl cut Veronica off. "To dear Daddy Lodge. Isn't it true that your father, from prison, illegally purchased the drive-in land? Which makes me wonder, what else is he doing from behind bars?"

Rosemary looked over at Veronica with wide eyes and then turned to Jughead, her eyes filled with fear as anxiety ate at her, her secrets most liking getting spilled out into the world, no doubt.

'It'll be okay,' Jughead mouthed to her, but she could only bite her lip and shake her head before turning to look up at Cheryl

"Well," Veronica said after a few small moments of silence. "I can't speak for my father, but I can think of someone with a very dirty secret. Specifically, Cheryl killing her very own brother."

"Everyone knows how much I loved my brother," Cheryl shook her head, her confident act falling for a few short moments.

"Exactly," Veronica nodded, making Rosemary's eyes grow even wider. "But did you love him maybe in ways that a sister shouldn't love a brother? And as you got older, Jason started to think it was strange, unnatural. So he chose Polly over you. So you shot him between the eyes with one of your father's many hunting rifles."

"Veronica-"

"This game is sick," Dilton Doiley cut Rosemary off as he stood up from his chair on the outskirts of the circle. "I wanna go next."

"That's the spirit, Doiley," Chuck encouraged the scout leader. "What secrets do you have to reveal to us?"

"I saw Ms. Grundy's car by Sweetwater River," Doiley announced, making Rosemary's heart drop. "The day Jason went missing. I told Betty, Rosemary, and Jughead, and then, Mr. Grundy quit her job and left Riverdale like, two days later. And let's not forget that Archie was also at Sweetwater that morning."