XXI

The Boy Under The Stairs

What makes a place feel like home? Warmth and familiarity? Some idealized make-believe version of the American Dream? Love and acceptance? Simple safety?

Or, it could be none of those things.

And it's a place where the captain of the football team is murdered. Or maybe it's just a forgotten closet under a well-trod staircase, where it's just you and the mice and the spiders, like an extra in a Wed Craven movie.

For Rosemary, it was Riverdale High, surprisingly. She went to school two hours early to practice tumbling passes for cheerleading since she didn't want to get rusty while she was forbidden to go until Cheryl gave her the okay. She stayed after school an extra two hours to do the same thing.

Rosemary huffed as she checked the time on her phone to see that it read six fifteen. School started in an hour. Rosemary walked over towards the lockerrooms, decided to take a quick shower before school.

As she was passing the boy's locker room, Rosemary head a loud gasp along with some laughing that caught her attention.

"What are you doing here?" Asked a familiar male voice. Rosemary slowly walked into the boy's locker room, frowning as she realized that the conversation was happening over by the showers.

"Taking advantage of the school's state-of-the-art facilities," A different male voice said. Rosemary peeked around the corner to see Jughead and Archie. Jughead had only a towel wrapped around his waist and his hair was wet. Rosemary's faced turned bright red as her eyes looked him up and down.

"No, really, Forsythe," Rosemary spoke up, scaring the two boys who quickly turned towards her. "What are you doing here?"

Jughead's eyes widened and they scanned over Rosemary's appearance. She was in a pair of tight black Nike shorts and a Nike sports bra, her hair pulled back into a messy ponytail and her bangs sticking to her forehead with sweat. Her hazel eyes were intimidating as they looked from him to his towel and then the toothpaste, toothbrush, and comb on the sink.

"Let me get changed and I'll show you," Jughead sighed, grabbing his clothes off another sink and stepping into the shower, drawing the curtain so Rosemary and Archie couldn't see him.

Rosemary sighed. She already knew why Jughead was there so early and why he was using the school's showers. She knew he wasn't staying at FP's trailer. She half expected him to go live with Archie, or maybe bunker down at Pop's.

"What are you doing here, Rose?" Archie asked, turning to face the sweaty blonde.

"Cheerleading," Rosemary shrugged. "I've been working on a few tumbling passes. Also, I've been using the school's weight room to get in shape for wrestling."