XX

Almost-Kiss

Almost-Kiss

Rosemary hugged her leather jacket closer to her body as her, Betty, and Jughead stood in front of the Sisters of Quiet Mercy. She took a shaky breath and ran her hand through her long hair and then started biting her nails nervously.

"Hey," Jughead shrugged. "Don't judge a home for troubled youths by its facade, right?"

Betty tightened her ponytail and lead the way into the building. Rosemary instantly felt like she had stepped into a prison. The lobby was dark and empty, the only light being from the front desk where an old woman sat.

"Hi," Betty walked up to the front desk with Jughead and Rosemary right behind her. "My name is Elizabeth Cooper. I'm here to see my sister, Polly."

"May I see some identification?" The woman asked. Betty pulled out her Riverdale High ID since she didn't have a driver's license. Rosemary took a deep breath and wrapped her arms around her torso as she looked around. The walls were bare and grey. The floor was tile and grey. The seats were plastic and grey. Everything was grey.

"Sign in here please," The woman passed a sign in sheet to Betty but then looked over at Rosemary and Jughead. "They'll have to wait."

Betty was soon led away by the woman and Jughead and Rosemary both sat in the uncomfortable plastic chairs in silence. Rosemary leaned her head back against the wall and closed her eyes, but she couldn't drift to sleep feeling Jughead's eyes burning into the side of her head.

"If you have something to say," Rosemary started, opening one eye and peeking over at Jughead. "Say it."

"Rose," Jughead sighed, turning in his chair so he was facing her. "I'm so sorry about everything I said. I-I was just mad about the drive-in closing and I took out my anger on you, which was stupid and not okay."

Rosemary was silent. Her hazel eyes stayed locked on Jughead, who was looking at her with hopeful and apologetic eyes. She took a deep breath and sighed, her lips twitching up to a small smile.

"Your apology is forgiven," Rosemary said but held her hand up to stop Jughead from hugging her. "But you own me shakes from Pop's for a week."

Jughead smiled and he was silent for a bit, still turned in his chair facing her. Rosemary frowned slightly when he looked down at her lips and then into her eyes. Jughead slowly leaned in, his hands snaking their way to her cheeks and cupping her face affectionately. Their breaths fanned each other's faces. Rosemary's eyes were wide as they stayed locked with Jugheads. She quickly pulled away, their faces still centimeters apart and Jughead still cupping the sides of her face.

"Jug," Rosemary sighed placing her hands on his wrists and lowering his hands from her face. "I-I'm sorry I don't- I...I can't- Reggie... I'm with Reggie."