Chapter 10

A few days later, Dad received a phone call from Carlisle Cullen. He was in Phoenix with Edward and Bella. Bella was in the hospital with a broken wrist, leg, and a crap ton of blood loss.

“I’m going to Phoenix,” he said.

“Just be careful,” I said. “I can stay here by myself. I can cook, clean, drive. I'll be okay.”

“You sure?” he asked. I nodded and he left. I texted Bella a long apology for not being there, but school comes first in this household, or at least that’s what Dad told me so he could leave me here.

I only spent a few days alone, and Dad was calling or texting me constantly. I don’t see why he was so worried. I was fine to be alone, but he insisted that I spent my afternoons and evenings on the rez with Jake and Billy.

“Wanna hang out tonight?” Jake asked me as we continued our conversation on the phone. It was prom night, but since I’m only a sophomore, I can’t go.

“Sure,” I said.

“Good because we’re having a bonfire tonight. Dad invited Charlie,” he said.

“I’ll be there, but I don’t know about Dad,” I said. I hung up and sat in the living room for a while, deciding I’d just head down in the jeans and Under Armor hoodie I was wearing.

“Hey, there’s my beautiful sister,” I said, smiling at her as she walked down the stairs.

“Hi,” she smiled softly as she almost tripped. Edward was there to steady her.

“I’ll take care of her,” Edward said.

“I’ve heard that one before,” Dad scoffed at him.

I laughed at Dad as they headed outside to Edward’s car.

“Hey, Jake wanted to know if I could go to a bonfire tonight,” I said.

“Yeah, I was invited too. We can drive separately if you want. I’m sure you’ll want to stay later than I do,” he said.

“Um, probably,” I said while laughing slightly.

“You can head down if you want,” he said. “I’m going to change and I’ll be down.”

“See ya there,” he said. I headed out and drove to Jake’s house. Jake met me at my car.

“How’s the most beautiful girl in the world?” Jake asked as I got out of the car.

“I’m good,” I said, blushing slightly at his compliment. “How’re you?”

“Great, now that you’re here,” he said.

I rolled my eyes at his statement, but followed him over to the food table.

“What’s all of this?” I asked.

“First bonfire of the season,” he said. I grabbed some food and started to pile it onto the plate.

“When was the last time you ate?” Embry joked, walking up behind me.

“Shut up,” Jake and I snapped at the same time.

“What’s wrong?” Jake asked as they all walked away. “You’ve never snapped at Emb like that before.”

“Sorry,” I said. “I actually haven’t ate a whole lot today.”

“Well, then, eat up before you kill me,” he said. I glared at him as I started to eat.

Jake was playing music all throughout the backyard. We were all just chilling and hanging out. There was a sort of peacefulness in the air that I would’ve given almost anything to feel forever. I relaxed into Jake’s arms and just stayed there, enjoying the security of being wrapped in my best friend’s arms.

The summer passed all too quickly for my personal liking. I spent the majority of the summer on the reservation with Jake, Quil, and Embry. Bella became increasingly dependant on Edward. So dependant that she spent literally every waking moment with him. I was growing more and more worried for my sister’s well being.