Chapter 37

After dropping Hadley off at her grandmother's, Jake drove out towards my house as he held onto my hand tightly. When he finally stopped the car, he didn't get out, he just turned towards me and engulfed me in a hug. There was no center counsel in the Rabbit, so Jake was able to pull me into his lap with great ease. He held me against his chest as my emotions caught up to me and poured down my cheeks as tears.

"Shh, babe, I know that was rough. I love you though, and I'm so so glad you're okay," he said.

"It, I, it was supposed to be me," I said, trying to steady myself so he could understand me.

"No, babe, it wasn't," Jake said.

"He wanted to kill me not them. I heard him Jake," I said, still crying, but it had subsided a little, at least for now.

"Babydoll, you can't think like that. It's just going to make things worse," he said, kissing my temple as he rubbed my back.

"Jake, he, I, ughhhh, I quit," I groaned, annoyed with the fact that I couldn't control my emotions and that I couldn't form a complete thought.

"It's okay babe," Jake said.

"No, Jake, it isn't," I said. "I just want it all to be over."

"You've gotta take time to heal from this," Jake said, holding me in his arms.

"I don't want it to take time," I whined.

"I know baby. How about we go watch some movies and I'll order some pizza?" He asked.

"Breadsticks?" I asked hopefully causing him to chuckle at me and nod in agreement.

We got out of the Rabbit and headed into the house, immediately going to my bedroom so I could change out of the clothes that I had worn during school.

"Babe?" Jake asked, knocking on my door.

"'s open," I mumbled, but I knew he would hear me.

"Your dad said it might help if I called Quil and Embry. Do you want me to or not?" He asked.

"I don't care," I said. Jake sat down beside me and wrapped his arms around me, making me feel better almost instantly.

"Babe, the worst thing you can do right now is shut your friends out. I'm going to talk to Sam to clear this, and, this weekend, you and Hadley are going to hang out and do something. Even if you just invite her here and we all hang out and have a movie day," Jake said.

"I know, but I can't process everything right now. Like, it's coming in waves of anxiety and fear and sorrow. And, I don't really know how I'm going to deal with it all," I said, leaning into him.

"Me either, but I will be right here by your side for as long as you need me," he said, kissing the top of my head.

"I love you Jake," I said softly.

"I love you too baby girl," he said. It fell silent for a minute, Jake rubbing my arm and me steadying my breathing to match his. He noticed and started to breath deeper so that my breaths would slow down more and calm me down as much as possible.

"Sure, call Emb and Quil and we can watch some dumb comedy movie like we used to," I said, breaking the silence between us.

"Will do," he said. "Are we going to camp out in front of the flat screen?"

"Sounds good to me," I said. We grabbed a bunch of blankets and Jake chose several movies. He wanted to make me a happy as possible before the deaths were announced.