Chapter 57

The next month passed quickly, and before we knew it, it was Thanksgiving. Dad had almost begged Bella to bring Nessie home, but he remembered that he threw her out shortly after the shooting and didn't want to put me through having to deal with her again. Bella maintained that they had plans with the Cullens and they would be home for Christmas. The Cullen family had moved to like North Dakota or something like that, and they were attempting to cut all ties with us. I didn't care because Bella hasn't talked to me in ages.

"Sue, do you need any help with anything?" I asked.

"Go relax with Seth and Leah. Jake and Billy will be here soon for the football on the flat screen," Sue said. I nodded and returned to the living room where the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade was playing on the TV.

"There's one celebrity worth my while," Leah said as Nick Jonas began to sing. I giggled softly causing her to look at me as Seth started to complain.

"She's not wrong Seth," I said. I took a seat beside Leah and she handed me a blanket, which I accepted greatfully. It was rather cold without my personal heater, aka Jake, here.

Dad joined us, sitting down in the recliner as Sue came in and sat on his lap.

"Don't even because the two of you with Jake and Hadley are much worse," Leah said as Seth went to complain.

"Yeah, but she's our mom," Seth said.

"Stop whining," I said, throwing a throw pillows at him.

"No," he said, sticking his tongue out like he was five. I rolled my eyes at him as Jake and Billy let themselves in. Jake came over and picked me up so he was now sitting on the couch and I was in his lap. Billy found a space facing the TV as he got ready for whatever football game was playing today.

As the parade ended, Sue went back to making dinner as Dad and Billy began to joke around and I curled into Jake's chest.

"So, Seth, how's that girl of yours?" Billy asked.

"Hadley's good. Her grandma dragged her into Seattle to see her aunt today, so she's been better," Seth said as his phone lit up. I knew he was talking to her in attempt to keep them both sane.

"That's good. I'm glad to hear it," Billy said. "What about you Leah? Any guys caught your eye yet?"

"No, not yet, sir," she said.

"I'm sorry to hear that. I'm sure one will eventually," Billy said.

"Probably not," Leah muttered so low I almost missed it.

My dad and Billy went back to watching whatever pregame stuff was on as we all say around talking. Seth and Leah were trying to absorb as much freedom and relaxation as they could on their day off. Jake held me tight against his chest, probably to make sure I didn't disappear on him.

"Dinner," Sue called, causing us all to head out to the dining room and take our respective seats.

As we sat around the table, I realised how much I longed for a family. Our small, broken, mismatched family was enough for me now, but in the future I want to give my kids a secure, stable home where they won't have to wonder if Mommy and Daddy love each other.

Jake placed his hand on my knee as we ate, causing me to look at him and smile. He returned the gesture, making me realize for the first time in months that everything was okay again.