At Last

Hey my loves, I hope you all are having a fabulous day! And I hope you all enjoy the chapter!
*
The white snow crunched beneath the feet of the two wolves, one an alpha and the other a beta.

Words couldn't describe the peace that they felt, the carelessness that powered through their veins. For once, there was nothing to worry about. There was no full moon for Melanie to worry about, or any wraith that was haunting anyone.

There was just the snowy ground, on a freezing afternoon in December. But neither Melanie nor Issac was cold, thanks to the winter coat that the both of their wolves grew. They would never have to worry about being cold in the winter...As long as they were in wolf form.

Issac stopped when they reached the other wolves, who seemed to have reached the top of the mountain before the slow duo.

I thought the alpha was supposed to be fast. Zeus joked, eliciting a few laughs from the other wolves. Issac rolled his eyes, nudging Melanie along when she appeared to have been distracted.

She snapped back to reality, before she rubbed her head under Issac's chin. It was a sign of gratitude, random but something that Melanie felt was necessary.

She also looked towards the pack, which included Nut and Jess, Zeus and Peter, and Knoll and Payton. Knoll and Payton however, were present in human form. Knoll never felt it was necessary to be his dragon, and Payton was just human.

And she liked it that way.

Melanie approached Payton, who sat on a boulder. She smiled at Melanie, rubbing her head for a few seconds.

"You know, Mel. I'm extraordinarily proud of you, you've grown so much since you turned."

And it was true, Melanie had grown. She'd learned what it meant to be a wolf. It meant gaining a new strength that you didn't know you lacked when you were human. It also meant filling in the relationships that you didn't have with your pack.

Never did Melanie think it would be like this. And neither did Payton.

Payton could still remember the day that she almost shot Melanie for being a wolf, now she not only protected her, but she protected everyone that Melanie cared about.

Payton stared at Melanie, who she knew could understand everything she said. Sadly, Payton could not do the same with Melanie, so she was content with talking to her.

"I really think you need to go to school more though. I can't have my best friend failing and not heading into senior year with me."

Melanie agreed with Payton, her lack of attendance at school was beginning to show. She was so close to failing calculus, and if she did, she wouldn't graduate this year.

Melanie nodded in wolf form, turning her head back to see the sun set. It's streaks of pink, orange and yellow filled the changing sky. Like some type of cotton candy had taken over the sky, the colors all blended together and looked so soft and fluffy.

The group watched in silence, all in a line and bodies pressed next to each other. This moment was a reoccurring occasion for them, happening whenever it possibly could. But even that wasn't often. Seizing the peace that came with watching a sunset only happened when the group didn't have some problem to fix.

But when they did get to see it, it was like a whole new world for them. It filled them with a sort of peace that was hard to find in their lives.

And for Melanie, it filled her with hope. Hope that even if she ceased to live, that the world would still carry on. People would still enjoy seeing the sunrise and the sunset, even if Melanie wasn't there.