Dinner Talks

(Kamski's POV)

What?! She's bi?! And she was into me?!

How did I miss this?!

I really need to learn people skills. This is getting ridiculous.

I loved her and she... felt the same. But it's all ruined now... There's no way she'd still feel that. Twenty years...

After we finished yelling at Gavin I took her back to my home. She had a job interview but promised she'd come over for dinner.

I honestly had so many opportunities in my youth to tell her how I felt. I could have told her when she brought me to her Homecoming Football game. I could have told her any time she forced me out of my room to be social. I could have told her the last day I saw her.

But I didn't. I seriously thought she was gay. She's right I have a lot to learn. I shouldn't assume things to be true. Especially with her. She's never obvious.

I decided on spaghetti for dinner tonight. Simple but good. Sky always loved pasta. Any kind of pasta.

The doorbell rings just as the food finished cooking. Chloe goes to get the door. I'm excited to hear about Sky's interview.

Chloe leads Sky to the kitchen. Sky has tears in her eyes. Please let them be happy tears. Please.

"Why are you crying?" I ask gently. She lets out a sob and sits on a chair, defeated.

"I'm not pretty enough to be on camera. Not creative enough to do articles. I'm just not good enough I guess." She says, her voice breaking. How could someone say that to her, let alone anyone?

"Shit, I'm so sorry, Skylar. They're wrong, you know." I sit next to her and put my arm around her shoulders.

"Wrong about what? He's right, Elijah. I'm not creative enough, I believe in honest journalism. I don't want to destroy people's lives. And I'm sure as hell not as pretty as the reporter girls on any other news channel." She says.

"You're right. You're not like the girls on other news channels. You're way more beautiful. And you're the only person who wants to be an honest journalist. You're already better than anyone else out there." I tell her.

"You mean that?" She asks, wiping her eyes.

"I would personally fight anyone who tells you you aren't good enough. You're beautiful and smart and amazing." I say, giving her a gentle smile. She laughs and finishes drying her eyes.

"Elijah you wouldn't even have fought your brother unless I said anything. You could have fought me when Gavin lied about me. But you didn't. You don't have a fighting bone in your nerdy body." She says, shaking her head.

"Excuse me, ma'am. I believe you are mistaken. I've been working out." I tell her. I lift her off the chair and swing her around while she laughs.

"This means nothing! I'll believe it when I see it. Let's swim tomorrow? You can show off all you want. Or be a complete goofball like you usually were when we used to go swimming." She says. There's nothing but happiness in her eyes now. I fixed her sadness. Things are really starting to feel like they used to.

I feel I will become a healthier person because of her. I need to socialize with human beings more.

"Bring your roommates. It'll be fun! I think I need the socialization." I tell her.

"Yeah you do. I'll see who's free and let you know, alright?" She says.

"Fine by me. Now! Let's eat. I'm starving and you must be too." I tell her. I walk over to serve both of us.

"I'm super starving yeah. Thank you, by the way. For dinner and for comforting me. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about work just yet. I've gotta start helping out with rent soon." She says. I put her plate in front of her and she thanks me. I put mine down and sit next to her again.

"You'll always have a home here with me, Sky. Maybe I'll resume my position as CEO. You could help me run it properly." I suggest.

"Kam I would never ask a thing from you. You know that. I'm also highly unqualified to help you run Cyberlife. I have a degree in journalism. I don't know how to run a company. Also you said you left because you didn't see androids as slaves. Why would you want to go back?" She replies.

"I have a feeling something big is coming. I can just feel it. And you don't need to be qualified. You just need to help me." I tell her.

"Like an assistant?" She asks.

"No. Like... a partner. A partner that has better social skills and understands human beings better than I do." I reply.

"I'll consider it." She says, playfully elbowing me.

Everything about her is amazing to me. Her looks, her laugh, her smile. Her spirit and attitude make the room feel brighter. She's brought light into my life.

I'm not letting it go this time.