[9]

A/N: SURPRISE UPDATE! I had a little time in between studying so here's an update until Thursday. 😘

Also, guys! I updated the photos of the characters with more aesthetic looking pictures! Check em out on the [!] page of this book. 🖤🖤🖤

- - -

Laila's POV

"He's offering how much for part-time?" Maryam almost chokes on air. "And you learned about your PhD candidacy all on the same day, at the same time?" She exclaims.

"I know! It seems way too unreal!" I say excitedly.

"You're like, going to be my sugar daddy now." Maryam winks at me.

"I guess I technically am, aren't I?" I laugh. My cell phone notification dings, letting me know I have a new message in my inbox. "Oh! Sophie emailed me about the work."

Maryam slides over to seat closer to me. Both of us read over the email and I look at Maryam confused, "So... that wasn't very specific..."

"Hm... no, it wasn't... I'm pretty sure you're going to be more like a personal assistant to him, from what I'm reading." Maryam says after putting some thought into it.

The email is vague, it doesn't specify what exactly I will be doing except "Be present whenever Mr. Romano is in need of your services" or "Do not go against his wishes" or "Always carefully listen to and execute his demands". It does say I start on Monday and will work with them every other day for three out of the five days of the week.

"Awe, I only get to see you on Tuesdays and Thursdays now." Maryam pouts.

I raise a brow and start giggling, "I live with you, Maryam."

I've been living with Maryam at my house since my third year of undergrad, we were both around 20-years-old. Maryam and I decided to move into my vacant house, which was left to me by my parents, to give us some independence. Plus, it's closer to our school.

"I know, I know. I love being around you all the time. I'm your overly attached girlfriend." She jokes.

We turn on the show Supernatural for the rest of  the night to catch up to a few episodes we missed.

Suddenly, my eyes fall on the calendar, "Maryam... what day is it today?"

"It's Saturday." She answers without looking away from the TV screen.

"No, I mean the date." I say. I can feel all the life being sucked out of my body.

Maryam stops munching on her chips and pauses the TV. She stares at my face, which is slowly turning sickly white.

"Are you okay, Laila? It's September 29—oh my God." Maryam gasps. "I'm so sorry, Laila. I'm so sorry, it slipped my mind."

My eyes shift to the side, a layer of glassy tears cover my eyes. As I blink, they fall from my eyes and slide down my cheeks. I bite my bottom lip as hard as I can to stop myself from crying out loud.

I can see Maryam's eyes watering as well. She doesn't have words to comfort me tonight, she hasn't found any words of comfort for the past five years.