[36]

A/N: I just wanted to tell you guys that if my update doesn't come out on the day/time it's supposed to, make sure to check my message board! I always update on there letting you know what's up! 🖤

- - -

Laila's POV

I slide off of bed. "You didn't have to get me anything ..."

I think about how I didn't bother buying him a gift. What do you buy a guy who has everything a person could ask for? Materialistically, of course.

He grabs a small black box and hands it to me. I sigh with relief, thinking how the gift is probably reasonable.

"Open it." He says.

I nod.

As I open the box, I can feel his intense gaze on me. He must be impatiently waiting for my reaction. I almost drop the box after opening it because of shock. It's keys to a Lamborghini.

"I-I can't accept this. This is insane—I'm—This must've cost too much. Please return it. I'm..." I couldn't find the words.

I can't accept this because it's just too pricey, it must've cost him a pretty penny.

He rolls his eyes at me in annoyance and then proceeds to grab my wrist to take me somewhere.

As we get to the front door, I panic. "I'm not wearing a scarf! I can't go out."

"We're on private property, no one can see you." He says. "Come on, I don't have all day."

"Just give me a second to grab my scarf, please." I plead.

He sighs and rubs his temple. "Fine. Quickly."

"Thank you." I say.

I run up the stairs, grab my iconic black scarf and run back down within two minutes. I'm huffing and puffing by now because my unhealthy butt can't walk up the stairs without getting tired, let alone run.

"Are you ready now, You're Majesty?" He asks in an almost sarcastic tone.

"Are you going to walk out without a shirt?" I ask I realize his top half is completely bare.

"Why? Will you be jealous of all the eyes that won't be on me because we're on private property?" His sarcasm deepens.

"Sorry." I mumble.

I see the car the second we step out of the door. My heart drops to my stomach. It's absolutely gorgeous. An all black Lamborghini Urus.

I'm sure I had a star-struck look on my face because Alex proceeds to ask me, "I'm going to take it that you like it?"

I extend the key box towards him. "I do, thank you so much. But I can't accept this, I really can't. Didn't this car just come out a few mo the ago? It must've cost you too much, I don't think my conscience can move on from how expensive—"

He crashes his lips against mine to make me quiet up. He slowly pulls back, "If you don't take it, then I swear to God, Laila..."

I don't know if that was threatening or playful but I don't argue. I gulp and take the box back.

"That's a good girl. Now, shall we go look inside?" He says.

I nod.

• • •

Alexander's POV

I open the driver's side of the door for her to take a seat.

I personally customized this car to fit her style. She prefers all black so the car is all black. I understand that she likes her privacy, so I had all the windows tinted dark.

I know she liked James' Porsche, however, I could not buy her that because it would remind her of him, not me. So I thought I should leave an impression on her with my first gift to her, thus I settled on a Lamborghini.

Plus, if she's going to be my wife, she needs to drive a car that lives up to the Romano status.

I take a seat on the passenger's side. I watch as she trails her fingers along the dashboard, bewildered and in disbelief.

"Are you sure about this?" She suddenly asks in a quiet voice.

I was sure she's asking about the car. "Yes, you need a car to drive around."

She looks at me with those sad eyes. "No, I mean, are you sure about the whole marrying me thing? I know it's a little too late to ask since we're already... married. But are you sure?"

Her eyes shifts again, looking away to the side. It becomes glazed with a glossy layer of tears. She blinks and the tears flow from her eyes, down her cheeks. She quickly wipes them away with the back of her hand before the tears have a chance to slip down.

She bites her lip firmly enough to the point where her bottom lip is turning white from the pressure. She's trying to stop a sob from escaping from her mouth.

Seeing her like this makes my heart contract. It's almost as if my heart is sinking.

I place my hand on the back of hers. "I have never made a decision that I was not sure about. So, to answer your question, yes, I'm sure."

Her eyes soften yet they're still sad. She doesn't say anything, just stares at my hand on hers, thinking about something.

I never really understood sadness. Why would one be sad of something that's already happened and cannot be changed? Ultimately, I don't see a point in crying over spilt milk.

Laila does something unlike her. She intertwines her fingers through mine and leans over to places gentle kiss on my cheek.

The second her skin makes contact with mine, I feel like the world around me stops. It always leaves me so overwhelmed. I had longed for her to show me such affection on her own, and now I can't imagine losing it. It somehow makes me feel... complete.

"Thank you for the thoughtful present. I will always cherish it." She smiles and leaves to go inside.

And just like that, she leaves me behind feeling completely taken-back.

• • •

Laila's POV

I don't know what had gotten over me. I don't know why I suddenly asked him such a question. I don't know why I grabbed his hand and gave him a kiss.

But maybe, just maybe I do know why. I'm so reluctant in facing reality, though I know I have to do so one day without having a choice. I'm trying so hard to stop the pain and sadness from taking over my mind.

I need to start to get to know him, and honestly, I might have already started to get to know him bit by bit and it's almost overwhelming.

There's something wrong with him, he seems almost disturbed. He's suppressing something within himself, there's something he's not ready to face. This reflects in his behaviour, through his outbursts and sudden change in persona. The way he lashes out yet can be so gentle.

If there's anything I learned in the time I spent studying psychology, it's that there's always an explanation to why someone acts a certain way. Especially if the behaviour is peculiar. It might be wrong to psychoanalyze my own husband who's a doctor for medical purposes but it's unavoidable.

There's something I did notice. When I was gentle with him in the car, there was a flash of affection in his eyes. Something in him shifted, it would've gone unnoticed if I didn't know about the change in his eyes, if I didn't know how his eyes shifts from hazel to almost forest-hazel when he softens up to me.

I just hope that whichever door I'm trying to open doesn't spill salt into any open wounds because that would be disastrous.

- - -

A/N: sorry about such a short chapter! I've been extremely busy. 😢

Please vote and comment and let me know how y'all feel!!