[22]

Laila's POV

"He doesn't seem okay. He looked very exhausted." I frown as I tell Maryam about Dr. Romano.

"So... he didn't mention anything about the giant move I pulled yesterday?" She asks.

I shake my head. "Not a word."

"I can't believe you get to go to Prague. I've googled it, it's such a beautiful place." Maryam is envying my trip to Prague while I'm panicking. "It's nice that Dr. Miller will be joining you, it puts me in ease. But let me know if she tries to steal your man, then I'll have a word with her."

I roll my eyes. "My man?"

"Don't try to hide it. I know you're crushing on the devilishly handsome, Doctor. You're horrible at concealing your emotions from me, sweet girl." She smirks.

"What are you talking about? I don't have any feelings for him... Besides, I've told you multiple times, he's my boss." I say.

"Mhm... Let me know when you're ready to admit it." She giggles.

"Anyways," I try to change the topic. "I'll check up on him when I drop this off later today."

"Yeah, that's a good idea. He's probably just really overworked. Being a doctor of any kind is exhausting enough, he's a whole surgeon of neurology, one of the toughest part of the human anatomy." She says.

I finish up organizing the papers and set them aside beside Sophie car keys.

I stare at Sophie's keys for a bit and think how I seriously need to invest in a car of my own. I can't keep going around in other people's cars.

Before I leave, I pack a cool bottle of orange juice and a turkey sandwich. I slice bananas and apples and put them in a separate box. These should help him regain some energy.

• • •

Sophie has told me that it's okay to just walk into Dr. Romano's house without ringing the bell as long as he hasn't denied my entry.

So, I walk in and place the car keys on the kitchen counter. I check his fridge to find that it's mostly empty. It has a few bottles of Fiji water, a few pasta sauces, maybe some vegetables? I'm not even sure.

"His fridge is double the size of mine yet it's so empty that I can't even imagine how he lives." I say to myself. "If it were me, the fridge would be overloading with food."

I look at the time on my phone, it's getting late. I walk up the stairs towards his room. I knock but it's empty.

This time, I don't make the mistake of walking into a random room. I call out to him instead.

"Dr. Romano! I'm here to drop off some things." I say as loudly as I can while walking by the rooms.

"In here." I hear him say from one of the rooms on my right.

The second I open the door, I regret it. How is it that I was extra cautious today yet still end up like this?

Olivia is completely naked and is on top of a very naked Dr. Romano. Somehow, in this split second, my eyes were able to take in every detail, which makes this extra worst for me.

I quickly cover my eyes. "Ya Allah... I'm so sorry. I'll just—I'm going to—I'll get going and come back later."

"You need to stop torturing the poor girl like this! She's always apologizing when it's not her fault!" I hear Olivia smack Dr. Romano. "Laila, look, I tried to stop you this time but he covered my mouth so you couldn't hear me yelling."