Chapter 8 - "Why did you come over?"

Haley sat on the motorcycle, silently cursing Jace. He had already disappeared inside and even with the thickness of the doors she had heard how happy people were to see him.

For a moment she debated just walking all the way home. But that idea was halted when the front doors opened and Rachel stepped out. A thought as to whether Rachel's smile was actually plastered onto her face and wasn't real at all crossed her mind.

"Hey, Haley, you coming in?" she asked. "We have hot pizza. I suggest moving quickly, I've seen athletes in action and there's not going to be a lot left in a few minutes."

"Ummm..."

Haley still felt like entering the house would be a complete disaster and a time in her life that she would look back on and regret. She was not like these people. They were put together, always smiling like they were in a constant ad and talked about things that felt like it would be a different language to her.

Her frantic thoughts were momentarily distracted by the sound of a car. A compact black Toyota pulled into the driveway, parked and Isaac stepped out. The door slammed shut and he sauntered down the driveway carrying two liters of soda.

"Hi, Isaac," Rachel said.

Haley pondered if a constant smile could break a muscle. If anyone was going to test this theory it was the girl standing in the doorway. As he reached them, Isaac looked at Haley and gave a wide smile. She wondered if he was actually happy to see her there or it was an instinctual thing to smile at anyone he knew.

"Here," Isaac said, lifting up the two jugs. "My mom said I would be grounded if I didn't bring these."

Rachel laughed. "Well, thank you. Bring them on in, I'll show you to the kitchen."

Before he followed her, he looked back at Haley as if silently asking if she would come in. Already knowing she would be mad at herself later for letting his blue eyes affect her, she climbed off the motorcycle. Grinning, he went inside and Haley took off the helmet and followed, not sure why she was.

Inside was a wide tiled foyer. A winding staircase cut in the middle of it. Branching off from it was a lavish sitting room that looked too pristine to even stare out, let alone step into. A door opposite led to a study that was made up of dark furniture and a sense of authority. Past these rooms were more doors and a hallway, from which voices were coming from.

Despite the glamour of it all, Haley felt as if she were stepping into a home and not a place made for show. The art on the walls were placed with care and along desks and tables were photos of Rachel and her family.

As Haley walked down the hall towards the noise, she glanced at herself in a mirror on one wall. Muttering, she quickly ran her fingers through her hair, trying to make it not look so smashed. Even as she did this she speculated over why she even cared. There was nothing she could do to compare to these girls, so why bother? But still, against her logic, she continued to fix her hair so it looked more presentable.

At the archway to the kitchen, she froze. Like the rest of the house, the kitchen was expansive with gleaming counter tops and shining appliances. Leading from the kitchen was a family room that looked more lived in than the rest of the house. Couches and chairs were occupied and plates with slices of pizza sat in hands and on the coffee table. Past the room were floor to ceiling windows that looked out on a pool and backyard.

Haley couldn't help feeling she was in an architectural design magazine and couldn't be more out of place. She was revisiting her plan of walking home when someone stopped before her. It was one of the student council girls that Haley always bunched with Rachel and fit with them. Pretty face, accented hazel eyes and blonde curls that fell in tight coils above her shoulders.