Chapter 19 - "I might have to take you up on that offer sometime."

The intense sound of heavy beats died as Haley pulled up to the curb and turned off the engine. She stared at the quaint house right outside the window. The lawn was trimmed and there wasn't a patch of the wall where the paint was chipping or in need of repair. It was the perfect package that held the perfect wholesome ideal family.

Taking a breath, she reached for the door handle. The urge to call Lettie that morning and get advice on what to wear that day had been strong. She didn't make the call as usual but the twinge of loss hadn't been as prominent either.

When she opened the door, Haley was blessed with a rare cool breeze. Though the sun had banished the early morning clouds, the heat wasn't unbearable. She closed the door and pocketed the keys. As she moved to the white picket fence, she wondered if she was being watched.

Knowing there was nothing to do but keep moving forward, she unlatched the gate and pushed it open. It gave out a whine as it swung back into place. Haley was halfway to the front door when a shout made her pause. A second later, Cal came racing around the back of the house. The puppy's pink tongue hung from his mouth and water bounced off his soapy black coat. Right behind him was Isaac chasing after him.

Where Cal had Haley smiling, the sight of Isaac made her freeze. Besides the fact that he wasn't wearing glasses, his hair had been cut and was a short wild mess, he was shirtless.

It wasn't merely seeing him shirtless that had Haley surprised. It was the realization that he was fit as well. Though nowhere close to Jace's sculpted physique, Isaac was still toned like a runner.

It was for this fact that Haley pulled at her ugly, paint-splattered shirt, wishing she found something a little more attractive. Even her baggy shorts were three years old, faded and frayed at the edges.

Isaac didn't seem to notice any of this as he smiled at her in greeting. Even his current shirtless state didn't phase him. Grabbing Cal by the collar, he held the puppy back before Haley could be given a wet doggy hug.

"Hi," Isaac said.

It took Haley a second to remember her words, still shocked his different appearance.

"Uh hi," she said. "Am I early?"

He shook his head. "No, I'm late. Do you mind waiting while I rinse him off?"

Haley shook her head.

"Come on."

Scooping up Cal, Isaac led them back around the house. On the lawn was a plastic baby pool filled with an inch of water. After plopping Cal back into the water, Isaac pointed to the back porch steps.

"You can sit if you want."

He reached down and picked up a hose. A jet of water splashed over the dog, getting both pool occupants soaked. Trying not to laugh at the sight and blush at the same time, Haley looked away, staring up at the house. On the second story, there was a balcony that could barely be called that, being only about two feet wide. Behind the door leading to the room, Haley noticed a circular object. Squinting against the window's glare, she tried to decipher what it was.

"Cal, hold still," Isaac said.

Unable to stop herself, Haley looked back. Isaac was kneeling beside the dog, rubbing a towel along his fur. Cal broke free and shook furiously, spraying Isaac. Haley couldn't help but laugh. The sound caught Isaac's attention and he smiled at her, then snagged the puppy back. Finished, Isaac let Cal go and walked over to Haley. He ran a new towel over his hair and arms.

Standing near a shirtless Isaac, Haley was blatantly aware that he was taller than her. Though she had known this before somehow it seemed more prominent at that moment. Fighting down a fierce blush, she pointed up to the balcony.