Chapter 33 - "I knew you only liked me for my body."

As Haley left the girls' locker room, she stared down at her outfit. Though her red shorts were faded, they were still cute and the white tank top was old but still decent enough and had the advantage of showing off her freckled shoulders. Too focused on inspecting her clothes, she nearly ran into Jace as he exited the boys' locker room.

"Woah," he said, holding onto Haley so she wouldn't stumble.

She jerked her head up and he grinned at her.

"New paint clothes?" he asked, a teasing note in his voice.

Though Haley attempted to fight it, she blushed.

"How would you know they're new?" she asked, crossing her arms.

Smirking, Jace leaned against the wall, his hands sliding into the pockets of his ratty gym shorts.

"Because that isn't what you wore last time to paint and they have no paint on them." He raised a taunting eyebrow. "Are you trying to look cute for a certain someone?"

"No!" The response came too fast to be anything but incriminating.

Jace put a hand over his heart. "Haley Day, you didn't need to try and impress me. You had me at the monkey shorts and Metallica pajama t-shirt."

She smacked his arm making him laugh. In retaliation for the abuse, he wrapped an arm around her neck and messed up her hair.

"Jace!" she yelled, trying to shove him away.

What she got was a wall of toned stomach muscles that would not yield.

"Seriously, Haley Day," he said, still rubbing her head. "You're such a flirt. If anyone sees us they are likely to get ideas."

Growling with annoyance, she pushed harder. Finally, Jace relented. Haley pulled out her ponytail and ran her hands through her hair, trying to make it look less like a knotted bird's nest. As she was tying it back up in the rubber band, Jace poked her nose.

"Don't worry, you still look as cute as ever."

She hit his hand away as they headed for the exit.

"I don't see how you can judge me when you're not wearing your original paint clothes either."

It was true, though the gym shorts were years old and his t-shirt was fraying at the sleeves, there wasn't a speck of paint on them.

"Yeah, my mom found my old ones and just tossed them." He shrugged. "Besides, I can always paint shirtless if I don't want to ruin this one."

"Yes, cause that wouldn't be distracting at all."

Sighing, Jace shook his head. "I knew you only liked me for my body."

She bumped him and he hit the metal door frame.

"We really need to work on your abuse of me," Jace said rubbing his arm in mock pain.

"We really need to work on your delusion that I like you for your body."

"You like me just for my mind. That is more comforting."

Unable to help herself, Haley laughed. They stepped out of the confines of the gym and into the hot afternoon. Heat rose from the concrete in waves washing over the campus. Stretched across the crystal blue sky were skeins of tangled clouds. Already sprawled on the grass and clumped into groups were the rest of their project companions. Conversations floated about like the blue jays that soared overhead, looking for lunches left behind.

Towards the outskirts, Isaac sat with a pair of gangly students that were talking animatedly, their hands waving as they nodded to each then focused back on Isaac, seeming to be explaining something.