Haley Meets Carter

Haley spun the silver bracelet on her wrist around and around, unable to stop. The pendant on the chain with the star sign for her birthday clinked with each rotation.

"I don't see why you're so nervous," Jace said. "It's your cousin."

The doors to the San Diego airport slid open and Haley bit her lip as a new wave of passengers flowed out. The day was warm as if California forgot that it was November. From speakers around the airport parking lot, the sound of the Beach Boys sang out, welcoming tourists. The whole day had a cheery vibe. Haley felt none of it.

"Yes, she's my cousin," Haley said. "But she's not my cousin like you and your cousins are."

Jace surveyed the mass of arriving people, his hands casually tucked into his pockets. "Yeah, but you told me you were close."

Haley spun the bracelet faster. "We were. Kinda. We always hung out over family reunions even though we're only like third cousins or whatever." She paused, frowning. "The last time I saw her though was when I was thirteen. Her mother left a few months later and...well...her father and she stopped coming to family reunions."

"How come she's stopping by now?"

A soft breeze floated around them, tangled with it was the scent of the sea.

"I'm not actually sure. She said that she was going to be in San Diego to meet her boyfriend's family and wanted to know if I wanted to get together for a couple of hours to catch up."

Jace nodded. "I'm sure this is going to be fine."

Haley released her bracelet and laced her fingers together, twisting them into tight knots. "Thanks for coming with me."

"Of course. I'm honored I ranked higher than your boyfriend."

"Oh, you didn't. Isaac is just with his father and I didn't want to take time away from that."

"Ouch."

Smiling, Haley bumped her shoulder against his arm. "You're fine. It's not like you would put me above Josie."

"Fair enough."

When the doors slid open again, Haley coiled her fingers even more, turning the tips white. A new stream of people exited and dispersed while Haley scanned their faces for one that was familiar. Beside her, Jace let out a whistle.

"It's a good thing I have a girlfriend," he said.

Haley glance at him then followed his line of sight to a girl with a duffle bag slung over one shoulder. She had light brown skin, coffee-colored hair - tied into a ponytail, dark blue eyes and a lithe figure. Though pretty there was nothing else about her appearance that warranted attention. She was dressed in a simple black t-shirt, jean shorts, and Converse.

What did set her apart was the way she walked, like she could conquer the world if the thought occurred to her.

Haley blinked as recognition hit her. "Yeah, that's my cousin Carter."

At the moment Haley spoke, Carter spotted the pair and grinned. The smile made Haley relax as it was filled with familiarity.

"Hey, Haley," Carter said, stopping.

"Hi, it's been a long time."

"Yeah, too long."

Jace cleared his throat and Haley started, remembering he was there. "Right, Carter this is Jace. Jace, Carter."

When Jace held out his hand, Carter took it, offering a kind smile.

"Hi. Baseball, right?"

Jace blinked in surprise, darting a glance at Haley. "Yeah, how did you-"