Chapter 28 - "Why didn't you invite me?"

As the bell rang, Haley followed the storm of students out of the classroom. The day was hot but after an hour in the icy air conditioning, it felt refreshing. The pack Haley was locked in broke apart as students went to find friends and spots to spend the next thirty minutes. Haley headed toward her lone tree but paused, her gaze straying to the collection of tables.

Already most of them were filled with athletes and members of the student council. Not knowing why, Haley looked for Rachel. Part of her wondered what would happen if she actually took her up on her offer and sat with her. Another part couldn't imagine the occurrence and so she looked away.

In the shade of her tree, she plopped down. Sprinkled on the ground were fluttering shadows from the overhead leaves. A rare breeze skipped passed stirring up the smell of mowed grass. Settling her backpack on her crossed legs, Haley dug out her headphones. The noise of conversations vanished as the rhythmic pulse of a heavy beat and a piano filled her ears.

As her gaze wandered, it landed on a tangle of blonde hair. Haley watched as Isaac slipped out through the gates, headed towards Cal. There was a subtle bounce to his step that made the corners of Haley's mouth twitch at a smile. It took so little to make him cheery and part of her wanted to have that.

When she could no longer see him, she looked to her backpack. Before she could take out her lunch, Jace sank onto the grass in front of her. The sight of him startled Haley. Smiling, Jace leaned forward and gently tugged one earbud free.

"What are we listening to?" he asked, resting on his elbow and sticking the bud into his ear.

When the song hit the bridge and the main singer suddenly started half singing, half yelling, Jace backed away.

"Why do you like that?" he asked. "He's screaming at you."

"No," Haley said, holding up a corrective finger. "He's screaming for me."

Jace frowned then started laughing. "You understand that makes zero sense."

Haley shrugged at his lack of understanding. "It's a Seven Ships thing, you wouldn't get it."

"Hey," Jace said, raising his arms out in indignation. "I like Seven Ships, just not the screaming parts."

Two figures appeared, casting shadows over the two companions.

"Jace," Josie said, Ty right beside her. "To not appreciate the use of vocal intensity of Seven Ships is to not understand them at all."

Jace gesture to the headphone. "What is there to understand, he's screaming."

Sighing, Josie shared a look with Ty. The look said, 'what did we do to deserve living with such inferior people?'. The two girls sat down beside Jace, both wearing the look of lecturers.

"Seven Ships," Ty said, "uses screaming as a way to express emotions that are too intense to sing."

"If you don't see this," Josie added, "then you don't understand the pain that others might go through. Or have never faced that kind of torment yourself."

Haley found it strange to have her feelings about Seven Ships so eloquently put into words. It was also strange that the two girls had willingly decided to sit down.

"You know me, JoJo and you know that's not true," Jace said, all levity gone from his voice.

They held each others gaze and Haley could almost see the memory they were sharing. One that didn't need to be spoken about out loud, but tied them together.

"Fine," Josie said, "you simply don't like someone screaming at you."

"No, I don't," Jace agreed.