Chapter 34 - "I did warn you."

The purr of the motorcycle engine died down as Jace pulled up to the curb. As he took the keys out, Haley climbed off the back and tossed him his helmet. The front of Haley's shirt was splattered with red paint, giving off the strange of appearance that she had been shot. Flecks still speckled her skin and she was ready to be rid of them. She was halfway to her house when she paused.

"I don't know if I'm going to go swimming, should I even wear a bathing suit?" she asked, Jace.

"Yes, or else you'll be really mad when I throw you in the pool."

Haley placed her hands on her hips. "You wouldn't."

"I'm surprised you're even thinking I wouldn't."

Before Haley could snap back a comment, Jace gave her a cheeky grin and vanished inside. Knowing there was no point in yelling at empty space, Haley went inside and rushed up the stairs. For once the quiet of the house didn't bother her, her mind already trying to decide what to wear.

After a shower, she stared at her reflection and the simple navy blue bathing suit she was wearing. Damp hair left droplets on her shoulders and slipped down her skin. The image she presented wasn't a bad one but it wasn't a great one either. Her stomach felt too exposed and though she was thin it wasn't healthy looking thinness with defined curves and toned muscles. Not able to do anything to change it, she walked away from her doppelgänger and into her closet.

When she walked back out, she was wearing shorts and a loose tank top pulled over her bathing suit, making her feel better about her appearance. Cutting through the maze of discarded books, she stepped out onto her balcony. Across the way, Jace was just walking out of his bathroom in a pair of swim shorts. He bent down and picked up a shirt off the floor. After a sniff, he tugged it on.

"Jace," Haley said, snagging his attention.

He opened his door and rested one arm on the frame.

"What's up?"

Haley held her hands out, giving him the full scope of her outfit.

"What do you think?"

He surveyed her with a critical eye.

"Shorts and a shirt. You're good."

Frowning, Haley cocked her head to the side.

"That was not what I meant."

"You wanted me to say something else?"

She tossed her hands up. "Yes!"

With an annoyed sigh, Jace shook his head like he couldn't believe this was his life.

"Fine, the shirt works well with your skin tone. The shorts are cute without even trying or showing too much. That better?"

She grinned appreciatively at him. "Yes, thank you."

"You need a girl friend cause I'm not doing that again. Now come on. Let's go."

Finding her phone, Haley tossed it into her bag along with her house keys and dashed down the stairs. The sun was still baking the world and scattered in the sky were clusters of puffy clouds like someone had knocked over a basket of white towels. The drive to Rachel's was a contrast of a hot day and a strong wind. The result was it left the uncovered bits of Haley's hair tangled and her skin tingling.

Along Rachel's driveway were already a row of cars. Jace parked at the front of the house and Haley tried to unknot the now dry ends of her hair. They walked in together and she couldn't help feeling how different it was from last time. The uneasy ball of nervous energy wasn't with her. The uncertainty of the people who were there wasn't something she even thought of. She might not have become friends with all of them, but she knew they weren't from another world as she had imagined before.