Chapter 35 - "You're still on to man the kissing booth, correct?"

An excited buzzing made Haley's fingers tingle as she gripped the hacky sack and opened her balcony door. She threw the soft ball and it hit Jace's window. When she got no response, she was about to go looking for another projectile but Jace appeared. He was shirtless and a toothbrush was hanging out of his mouth, bits of white toothpaste dotting his lips.

"What?" he said.

"Hurry up, we have to get to the school," Haley said, an antsy feeling to get moving making her feel like she was going to jump out of her skin.

Jace removed the toothbrush.

"Why are you so eager to get going? You understand we'll be there all day, right?"

The reason was Isaac, but Haley had no plan on sharing that with Jace. The teasing smile Jace had given both of them when they had exited the closet the night before was enough to make her want to shove him.

"Rachel said that there would be breakfast and I don't want to miss free food."

Jace gave a nod of his head like she had a valid point.

"Wait, are you wearing that?"

At his question, Haley looked down, her outfit was meant to be cute and flirty, jean shorts with a sleeveless, loose top.

"Why?"

"We're working all day, that shirt is going to get ruined."

Haley put her hands on her hips. "I thought you didn't care about my choice of outfits."

"I don't, I just don't want you to complain to me when you make a hole in that flimsy material."

Haley scowled though he had a point. "Fine. But hurry up!"

Before she could go looking for a new but equalling cute outfit, Jace called to her.

"Since when was it decided I was even driving you?"

"Since I'm buying you a bag of M&Ms in payment."

"Fair enough."

He disappeared and Haley rushed to her closet. The search for the right shirt was maddening as she felt for the first time that she really cared about how she looked. Her hands stilled on a t-shirt that bore the Seven Ships logo. Deciding it wouldn't go unnoticed by Isaac, she exchanged it, adding a pair of yellow Converse to the mix, the cheery color matching with the band's symbol. Grinning at seeing Isaac again, Haley grabbed her purse and left her room.

Matt approached her from the other end of the hallway, still in his pajamas and rubbing his eyes. When he spotted Haley, he stopped, his brows inching together in curiosity. In return she frowned, puzzled.

"What?" she said, conscious of the smile she had been wearing.

He gave a sluggish shrug.

"You looked happy, I thought it surprising since it's early on a Saturday and you have to go to school to work."

"Well," Haley said, poking his shoulder. "I am very proud of how this fair is going to look. We've worked hard. You're going to be there right?"

The edge of Matt's lips curled up in a sleepy grin.

"And miss all your hard work, never. You'll have to tell me which booths you made."

Haley beamed. "I will. I'll see you later."

She skipped that the stairs, her ponytail bouncing along behind her. Before she reached the door, her mother called out.

"Where are you off to?" she asked.