Six Years Later

The buzz of the crowd filled Haley's ears as she walked into the baseball stadium. The scent of fried food and beer wafted through the place, tantalizing noses and teasing wallets. Above the din of the audience, Haley heard an announcer calling out the names of players as they walked onto the field.

"And hitting for the Red Sox is number forty-five, Jace Cortez."

Haley hadn't thought it possible, but the roar of the crowd grew even louder as people cheered and screamed their excitement. A smile overtook Haley's face as she ran to the closest archway to the stands and looked out on the field.

As Jace crossed to home base, he swung his bat, oblivious to the excited audience. His mind focused on the game and nothing would change that. Instead of heading to the private box, Haley leaned against the wall, watching as Jace sank into his stance, bat at the ready. He held himself as he always had, confident.

When the ball hurtled towards him, Jace swung. A crack resounded through the air and Jace sprinted for first base, his speed only increasing as he careened past first, hit second, and flashed by third.

As he raced towards home, the crowd shouted themselves hoarse. Dust smeared Jace's pants as he slid into home base a breath before the catcher caught the ball. Cheers ripped the night as fans leapt to their feet, shaking their friends and screaming in their faces.

Pride glowed inside Haley as Jace moved back to the dugout, a wide grin splitting his face. Pushing herself off the wall. Haley cut her way through the thirsty throng and to a private box overlooking the field.

The energy of the place matched the rest of the stadium, people cheering and slapping each other on the back. As everyone started to settle down to watch the next inning, Haley scanned the room, looking for a familiar face, feeling out of place among the elite.

Before she could spot Josie, someone spoke behind her.

"What are you in for?"

Haley felt her heart stutter at that voice. A voice that played in her memories and she heard in her dreams. A voice that made her breathing ragged.

When she turned around, Isaac stood there wearing a smile.

Since she had last seen him three years ago, he looked the same and different all at once. His hair was shorter and neater, but still with a hint that any moment he could lose control of it. He wore contacts which made it easier to see his blue eyes. He looked taller but still slim. Haley imagined he still ran each day with Cal.

"If you must know," she said, finding her voice. "It's for drug running."

He laughed, a laugh she knew like the feel of his jaw when he hadn't shaved. When he held her gaze, Haley felt that unexplainable feeling stirring inside her. A feeling that said no time had passed between them. A feeling that made her feel at home even among so many strangers. A feeling that only Isaac created in her.

"Who was the snitch that got you tossed into this joint?" she asked.

He leaned forward and she smelled pine and mint on him. "It was a druggie who ratted me out in Philly."

When Haley laughed, Isaac stared at her as if he couldn't see anyone else.

"There you are!"

Both Haley and Isaac looked over as Josie rushed towards them, a toddler with thick black curls on her hip.

"I'm glad you could make it. I have spots for us over here," she said, motioning them to follow.

With a glance at each other, Haley and Isaac followed Josie through the packs of players' family members, the rich, and team owners to a far corner. Already seated was Ty, though she didn't seem to be watching the game, instead argued with a good-looking business owner.