Chapter 40 - "Is there anything I can do?"

Still in her pajamas, Haley was already halfway to her balcony when she heard a small tap on the glass. When she pulled it open, Jace was waiting for her. The morning air was tinged with a warmth that seemed to make the whole world glow.

"Hey," he said, worry wrinkling his brow.

Haley knew how she looked, puffy and red eyes with messed up hair.

"Hey," she said, smiling.

Relief relaxed Jace's shoulders. Despite the evidence of too many tears, Haley could feel a lightness about her that she hadn't in a long time. One of the reasons was that the boy across from her cared.

"They're not getting a divorce," she said.

Jace's eyebrows shot up, as his mouth popped open. Haley's smile brightened.

"What...wait...really? But I thought..."

A laugh bubbled out of Haley, her heart singing, the weight of pain finally lifted. Jace ran a hand through his hair, eyes still baffled.

"Really? I mean that's amazing, but last night you said-"

Haley waved a hand, wanting to forget about the world of hurt she had been in and all because of a truth that hadn't been real.

"Yeah, I know. But I talked to them like you told me and well," she shrugged, "they explained it. It's all been because of work."

She broke down everything they had told her while Jace's eyebrows kept climbing.

"That's...wow..." He smiled, his shock vanishing. "I'm happy for you, Haley Day."

Haley let out a sigh, feeling like she could float off the invisible burden no longer weighing her down. Along with the relief, came a tinge of guilt. Her expression sobered and Jace tilted his head, noticing.

"I'm sorry, Jace," she said. "I yelled at you when all you've ever been is nice." She twisted her fingers together. "I'm really sorry, you really didn't deserve that."

Her apology was accepted with a grateful nod of his head. Taking a step forward, he leaned his elbows on the railing.

"So...you want to tell me happened Saturday night?" he asked.

A rush of images bombarded Haley's mind and pain twisted her heart. She leaned back against the doorframe, her hands pinned behind her.

"Isaac...saw us...or you kissing me and well..." She waved a hand toward him. "With your mistaken reputation, he thought we were...involved in some way and that I had only been playing with him."

The sting of his words and the hurt of Isaac's face hit her again. She dropped her head, brushing one toe across the planks.

"What did he say when you explained what was really going on?"

Haley winced at the memory of the encounter.

"I might have failed miserably at explaining," she said.

"You like him a lot?"

When she lifted her face, the color that was spreading through her cheeks was answer enough. Jace grinned and Haley scowled at him, but it lacked true menace.

"Talk to him. I know Isaac, he'll listen." He arched one questioning eyebrow, his lips curled upward with mischief. "Unless you want me to explain to him that I was only confirming what he knew already?"

"No!" Haley's face was hot and she buried it in her hands.

Jace's laugh was delighted and warming.