Chapter 8

"Ladies," Loki greeted the three of you with a small elegant bow. You were staring at him, unable to take your eyes off of him. Men in suits were extremely attractive and an attractive man in a well-fitting suit...

You noticed that he seemed equally unable to take his eyes off of you.

"Right on time, Loki," Nat replied with a mischievous smile. "Take care of our girl tonight and make sure she has a good time,"

"You two have fun!" Pepper chimed in. You felt your face heat, knowing that they both saw how neither you or Loki seemed able to take your eyes off the other.

"Do you require a ride home?" Loki pried his eyes off of me to address Nat and Pepper.

"No. Happy's driving us back," Pepper replied. They said their goodbyes and started walking to the car that Happy would be driving.

"Lady Y/N," Loki greeted you formally, returning his full attention to you now that the others were leaving. He bowed over your hand and kissed your knuckles. You felt your cheeks heat even more at his romantic gesture. Though you knew from experience that Thor did the same thing to all of the girls just as a simple courtesy. "You look ravishing this evening, witchling," he added, confirming your suspicion that this wasn't just simple courtesy like it would have been with Thor. This was...more.

"You look great tonight too," you added shyly. You were out of your depth here, and needed to get back to the lighthearted familiarity you usually had with him. "Did they tell you any more about what's going on than they bothered to tell me?" you asked, trying to get back to the lighthearted friendliness that you were used to.

"It is as Lady Pepper said. Your room is still being worked on. Stark wishes for you to remain out of the tower until it is completed. So he made arrangements for your entertainment for the evening and asked if I would accompany you,"

"That was very kind of you to agree," you commented, knowing full well that he would've been excited just to leave the tower. He'd been on house arrest for over a month. "How'd you get stuck with this awful assignment?" you teased.

"I made the mistake of becoming your closest friend," he quipped right back and instantly you felt back on familiar terms with him. "Shall we?" he asked, offering you an arm. You placed your hand on his arm, almost timidly and let him walk you to the passenger side of the car.

"When did you learn how to drive? Or get a license?" you asked curiously when he opened your car door for you.

"A few weeks ago, Captain Rogers though it would be a good idea for me to know how," he answered when he got in the driver's seat. "Lady Natasha made my ID and an entire identity to go along with it. She said that she is a professional in such things." You just laughed. He pulled out of the spot and followed Jarvis' directions to your next destination. At least he was a careful driver.

"Natasha is a professional. If she made your ID it'll hold up under any scrutiny," you reassured him. "So what 'arrangements' did Tony come up with?" you asked curiously.

"You will find out," he replied with a grin. You sighed. Everyone was ordering you around and not telling you anything today. It was quite annoying. You'd have to figure out how to get back at them all later.

"Have you seen how my room is coming along?"

He nodded. "There are many sweaty workmen making quite a lot of noise and upsetting everyone while they build things," he answered.

"That's not reassuring," you replied glumly, hoping that the workmen really would finish today. You didn't want to have to find somewhere else to sleep. "How'd you get off of house arrest?" you asked instead of commenting more on the workmen.