Chapter 62

Loki still hesitated. You saw his fear. He never wanted to rule, never wanted that power, that responsibility, and it was being thrust upon him again. He was also scared after what happened last time. You kept your arms around his waist, leaned up to kiss his cheek reassuringly. He gave you a soft smile, but you saw the concern in his eyes. "Brother, the throne is rightfully yours," he protested one last time, turning his attention to Thor. He would not usurp Thor's rightful place.

"I have already stated my reasons for not wanting to acquire it, especially not at this time. I am needed elsewhere, and you-" Thor started to remind Loki. You knew his words weren't effective, though. There were tears in Loki's eyes, reminders of painful old memories.

"I? I am the monster parents tell their children about at night!" Loki shouted at Thor, tears and heartbreak in his eyes. He seemed so much younger, so hurt and broken. Thor opened his mouth to protest, Frigga turned to her sons, but Loki kept talking over their protests.

You stepped out of Loki's arms and faced him, glaring up at him. Sometimes Loki needed sense beaten into him instead of gentled into him. "Loki. You're not a monster," you reminded him firmly. His arms wrapped around you and he held you tightly to him, as though you were the last real thing in his existence, though he didn't respond to your statement.

"You cannot have a Frost Giant sitting on the throne of Asgard! You never could have!" He didn't notice the tears that fell from his eyes, that he was holding you too tightly, as if you were the last real thing in his world, as if he would lose you if his grip loosened.

Frigga stood to face him, calm, gentle, and kind as usual. She raised a hand to Loki's cheek, brushed away a tear. Even he couldn't flinch away from her touch and actually laid his head against her cheek. "You are my son, Loki, and we your family, you must know that," she implored him. She was the only one he could accept reason from when he was upset. "You are a good son and I have always been proud of you. You will make a fine king," she told him warmly.

"Mother," Loki's voice was soft, worried.

"You will make a fine king," she reassured him, just as warmly, just as kindly. "Especially with your lady at your side. We are here to advise you, my son. You do not have to face this trial alone,"

Loki finally relaxed then, finally reassured that he wasn't alone. He bent to kiss Frigga's cheek. "Thank you, Mother," he finally said. She nodded and touched his cheek again before she returned to her seat, her vigil. You all turned to stare at the door as it opened. Thor had a smile when he saw the guards. He stepped back, out of the way, out of the spotlight. Frigga's smile was warm when she saw them too. Loki kissed you lightly, let you go, and stepped forward, towards the open door. You saw his hesitation, saw he was still more worried than he wanted to let on. You caught up to him, standing at his side, and took his hand, reassuring him with your presence. You would face this trial together, just as you faced everything else. He looked at you then, gave you a small smile, and kissed the top of your head before he turned his attention back to the guards.

As one, the guards dropped to one knee, their right hands in fists over their hearts. A wizened man in robes came into view, a cleric perhaps, or a magician. He was carrying Gungnir, Odin's staff, with him. Loki gulped and straightened his spine. The magician stepped forward and offered Loki the staff. You dropped his hand, but didn't step away from him, remaining a reassuring presence at his side, he would need both hands to take the offered staff. Someone somehow must have told the magician that Loki was going to assume the throne instead of Thor.

Still, Loki hesitated and glanced over at Frigga for reassurance that this really was the best thing. She nodded with a warm, proud smile. "Thor's duties and responsibilities are off-world. The line of succession falls to you. Until Odin awakens, Asgard is yours," she told Loki firmly, regally, but with her same gentle kindness. Loki turned his attention back to the magician, you saw the disbelief still in his expression, but he straightened his spine, steeled himself, and accepted his duty, carefully taking the staff from the magician, his face hardening from the vulnerable pained Loki to a prince...no, a king who would do his duty to his people. You saw his hesitance, his reluctance at this duty. He never wanted it and that didn't change now. But he would do what was necessary. He turned back to Frigga, holding the staff now. She still smiled warmly, immensely proud of her son. "Do your mother proud," she bid him warmly. "My King," she added with a small smirk to her smile.

Thor came over and clapped Loki on the shoulder. "I must return to Midgard. Congratulations, Brother. You will do well," he told Loki warmly. He embraced you and you could feel his tension, his worry, though he knew it was the right decision.

"I won't let him fail," you whispered in his ear, so softly that Loki could never have possibly heard you. Thor beamed at you when he let you go, reassured by your words, by your presence. You were calm and stable, a gentle healer, a good balance for Loki. Thor went to Frigga last and kissed her on the cheek.

"If you have need of me, send word through Heimdall," he bid you all and strode from the room. He had wanted to stay to see Loki assume the throne, to see that everything would be ok here, but he also knew he had to return to Midgard now so his presence wouldn't interfere with Loki's rule.

You saw Loki's flicker of doubt, of hesitation, of fear and worry. You stood up on your toes to kiss his cheek. "I'm here," you reassured him in a whisper in his ear. "I will stand by your side... my king," you added with a bit of a smirk in your tone. He relaxed, his expression lightened back to your Loki. You mischievous trickster fiance.

"You are right, as per usual Sig," he told you lightly, warmly. "Anything is possible with you at my side, my Queen." His voice held a hint of a smirk, though you could tell he meant every word, though you weren't technically queen, you weren't married yet, and yet... he meant what he had said.

Everything would be alright.