Chapter 69

With Loki's report completed, there was only one more official duty you had to complete before you could go back to Midgard, before you were completely free of the duties of the throne for hopefully a long while. The entire royal family went to their chambers to get ready for it.

"Relieved that this should be the last official function until our wedding in a couple months?" you asked Loki as you were getting dressed in one of your formal gowns. All of the gowns on Asgard were floor length beautiful, comfortable creations, but the formal ones were more intricately designed, higher quality fabrics, and this particular lovely forest green gown shimmered when it caught the light. You'd gotten quite used to wearing floor-length gowns over the last few months, though rarely needed to wear such formal-wear. Such things were saved for coronations, holidays, really important events. You'd hadn't had to wear one since your betrothal ceremony, but this event was formal, so formal dress it was.

And on your head was the beautiful golden circlet that would be yours officially when you were married.

Tradition was being thrown a bit out the window. It was only a couple months until your wedding, and you'd been acting as queen for the last three months, so you were acting as princess for this last official court function, even though it wasn't quite official yet.

So you settled your circlet on your head and found yourself staring in the mirror, surprised at the princess you saw there. It wasn't that long ago that you were just a weird foster kid with powers.

Loki came up behind you and wrapped his arms around you, placing a kiss on your cheek. "You've always been a princess to me, love, and my queen these last few months and forever more," he told you warmly. You turned and kissed him.

"And you will always be my king," you told him warmly, looking over his formal finery and golden horned helm. "Handsome as ever," you told him approvingly. He smiled warmly and placed a soft kiss on your lips.

"And you are radiant, my darling. Shall we?" he asked, offering you his arm. You laid your hand automatically on his offered arm and he led you from his chambers, which had become both of yours over the past three months, and to the throne room. You'd made this trip with him a good hundred times over the past few months. You realized that the palace of Asgard had become to feel like home, just as the Avengers Tower did.

You met up with the rest of the royal family outside of the throne room. They were all dressed in their best. Thor in his formal armor and stupid winged helmet that he never wore, Frigga had her best golden gown, even Odin was looking formal and held Gungnir. He led the procession into the throne room, escorting Frigga. Thor followed alone behind him and you knew that he usually walked with Loki during these processions. He had to be missing it, though he wouldn't let any of the people see how it hurt him to be walking alone. Loki shifted to hold your joined hands up at about chest height in formal escort as you followed Thor down the aisle surrounded by cheering Asgardians and up the steps toward the throne. Odin stood before the throne, Frigga at his side. Thor stopped on the top step, taking his position there, just to one side of the throne. Loki kissed you and took his position on the top step on the other side of the throne from Thor.

For the first time you took what would be your official place in all future court functions one step below Loki.

While the place wasn't technically yours yet. You'd more than earned it acting as queen for the past few months.

Odin banged the staff on the floor and took his seat. You had to remain standing, as did everyone but Frigga, who could perch on the arm of the throne, or join Odin on it, but she stood beside him today.

"As you are aware, I was in the Odinsleep for these past few months. My son took over my duties in my stead and I could not be more proud of how he handled the responsibility. The realm has thrived in his care and it is clear that he loves and cherishes our realm and our people. He has my gratitude," you couldn't believe that Odin was so publicly praising Loki. Based on your glance at Loki's expression, neither could he. His expression was his careful court mask, but you saw the minuscule crack in it, saw his cheeks tint ever so slightly, saw the hint of pride in his eyes. Only you who were so close and knew him so well were able to see it.

Odin spoke for awhile longer, reassuring the court that he was very much alive and well and resuming his proper place and duties immediately.

*

You spent the rest of the day in Asgard, making sure things were turned back over to Odin and Frigga as smoothly as possible. There was a huge feast that evening and you spent the night dancing the night away with Loki. He was full of joy at having the burden of the throne removed from him, and seemed even more excited that Odin had finally praised him and acknowledged his contributions.

You intended to return to Midgard the next morning, but had a hard time tracking down Frigga to tell her one last goodbye. You finally decided to check the throne room on a hunch, and found her curled in Odin's lap dozing, wrapped in his cloak, much as you had been when you'd been without your powers. Loki's reassurances over the past few months were completely confirmed by Frigga's current state. You hadn't quite believed him until that moment. You couldn't help smiling at the scene. It was hard to imagine Odin as tender, but he truly cared for Frigga, and it was apparent with how he held her safe in his arms while she was vulnerable.

She must've sensed Loki's presence, because she woke from her doze and rushed over, despite Odin's protests otherwise, to come hug you both. Loki hugged her and kissed her cheek and promised that he'd see her soon.

With that taken care of, you dragged Thor from Sif and the Warriors Three and the three of you made your way to the Bifrost. You said goodbye to Heimdall before you stepped through. A minute later and you were standing outside the tower, standing in front of your other home.