Chapter 42

It was late that afternoon when Frigga began to get worried. No one would ever know just looking at her, but you had gotten to know her quite well in the last few weeks. It was hard to hide any nuance of someone's personality when you were constantly using magic together, especially when she was the one teaching you.

"What's wrong?" you asked, looking up from your book, wondering what had her so worried. A note fluttered onto the desk in front of her with a glimmer of green magic.

"Loki has finished whatever task Odin set him, but wishes for you to stay here tonight," Frigga answered as she read the note over.

You scoffed and rolled your eyes. "Like that's going to happen. Much as I enjoy your presence, Frigga," you added the last part quickly as you stood and straightened out your skirts. Damn, you hated wearing dresses all the time.

Frigga just smiled gently. "Of course it will not happen. Odin must have gotten him in a mood again... those two never have seen eye to eye. Make sure you wear Loki's cloak when you leave, dear. It is tradition, after all. I would suggest checking his chambers for him first."

"What is the cloak tradition?" you asked curiously as you settled the cloak back over your shoulders obediently.

She laughed. "Trust my son to honor the tradition but not bother to explain it. When a gentleman has taken responsibility for a lady's safety while she is under the weather, he gives her his cloak to wear to show not only her, but everyone who runs into her that she is under his protection. It is unnecessary of course, especially in your case where the entire realm knows you are betrothed to my son. No one would dare harm you. Would you like me to come with you?" she asked.

You pondered the questions, but shook your head. "No, thank you, but he can't be upset with you if I'm the only one of us who doesn't do as he wishes." You shrugged. "I can put on the heavy gloves and mellow him out again,"

You saw the light of humor in her eyes. "Yes, I believe you can. Very well. I will be here if you change your mind or need assistance,"

"Thank you," you replied before you left her chambers. Loki's cloak was a comfort around your shoulders, though as Frigga had said, you obviously didn't need protection, but this was a strange realm filled with only a few people you actually knew. You did follow Frigga's advice since you couldn't feel Loki's presence without your powers and his room was just as good a place to start as any other. It wasn't a long walk to his suite either, which must have been why Frigga let you go alone. She wouldn't risk your safety, no matter how safe she said you were.

You didn't bother knocking on Loki's door, just slipped inside. He was pacing his sitting room snarling and fighting to reign in control of his magic and temper. You took off his cloak and set it aside, getting the heavy gloves out to gentle him with. "Can you ever do what I tell you?" he snarled at you when he caught sight of you.

"No. Besides, that order to Frigga was illogical, like I'm actually going to leave you to suffer alone," you replied pleasantly. First attempt with him was always kindness. He still seemed so bruised and unused to it that it often softened him. If not, there was always knocking some sense into him. That was a terrifying prospect without your powers, since the power balance between you was so skewed in his favor. You had to trust that he wouldn't hurt you.

"I am not safe to be around right now, lady," Loki snarled, returning to his pacing. You sighed and stepped toward him, placing a hand on his arm. Placing a hand- Fuck. Illusion. Your hand went right through him.

"Where are you hiding, love?" you asked him kindly before the illusion faded. He just glared at you in reply. You huffed. "Fine, hide and seek it is," you grumbled and left his chambers to go track down your wayward love.

Your next stop was the room Thor, Sif, and the Warrior's Three claimed to hang out in. You didn't expect Loki to be there, but you weren't surprised to see Thor there. "Sig!" he exclaimed when you came in and jumped to his feet to greet you, concerned that you were alone. "What are you doing here?"

"Loki sent a cryptic note to the queen requesting that I stay with her tonight and mentioned that the All-father may have upset him?" Thor inclined his head. You were more careful with your words around others besides the immediate royal family, and tried to stick to titles when referring to them where others could hear. "He was not in his chambers when I went looking for him. Do you know where he might've gone?"

Thor shook his head. "No, I have not seen him since we left Father. Why don't you return to Mother and I will bring him to you when I have tracked him down?" Thor suggested. You just put your hands on your hips and stared up at him. "It was worth a try," he said apologetically.

"Do you need us to help?" Sif asked.

Thor shook his head. "No, he's not in trouble. Well, no more trouble than worrying his lady," Thor corrected at your expression. "That is not a crime worthy of sicking Lady Sif and the Warriors Three on him,"

"Thor, you don't have to come-" you started.

"I am worried about him too, little sister," he told you firmly. He was coming along. You'd never find Loki if Thor was thundering around the palace with you. Well, you'd never find Loki wherever Thor was thundering anyway...

Which gave you an idea. "Fine, but we split up. Loki will never allow himself to be found wherever you're thundering and stomping around looking for him. So you go to the library and make a big fuss about it. I'll check some of his other favorite haunts more stealthily," you explained to Thor. He thought over your plan.

"Are you sure you're ok to be alone?" Thor asked, truly concerned.

You nodded. "I'm worried about him Thor, really worried. You know how he gets... I want to find him and bring him back from whatever mood he's in," you let him hear your worry and see it in your expression.

"Very well, but please be careful," Thor relented only because he knew that you would do whatever it took, but that you might work with him if he didn't argue too much. So you split up outside of the warrior's sitting room and headed your separate ways to find your wayward love.