Chapter 59

You groaned when you finally woke again. Your head was on fire, your mouth was dry, and you had a swimming feeling in your stomach that made it seem like throwing up was going to be inevitable. You made the mistake of cracking open your eyes and instantly regretted it. You shut them quickly, clutching your head and making the most pitiful pained noise as the morning light fried your eyes and drove the migraine in your skull up about ten pain points.

In short. You were very hungover.

Though you'd had no alcohol.

"Back among the living, I see, witchling," came Loki's voice from nearby. You whimpered, curled yourself in a tighter ball, then remembered, remembered what you had done and what Loki had been through.

You made the next mistake of jolting upright, forcing your eyes open so you could check on Loki. He'd been through so much. You whimpered at the movement, fought back the wave of nausea and dizziness and tried to focus on Loki. Tried. Really tried. Your eyes wouldn't focus.

There was movement on the bed as Loki joined you. His hands steadied you and propped you up against the pillows. "I should leave you like this to teach you a lesson," he told you. He wasn't happy with you, but his tone was light, this at least was a joke.

"I'd do it again if it meant saving you from that hell," you croaked through dry lips and a fuzzy mouth. "Fuck, I'd do it a thousand times to keep you from going through that,"

"Healers..." he sighed. "You are incorrigible, my darling. I still should leave you like this so maybe you'd learn to never overdose on magic like that again, but we need to discuss what happened over the last few days, so you need to be coherent for that. Now, hold still. I have enough healing gift for this." His cold fingers were on your temples and instantly the pain began to ease.

"Thanks," you murmured when you were feeling human again. It wasn't feeling Asgardian again, but you'd take human over whimpering ball of misery. You raised your hand automatically to summon a glass of water.

Loki grabbed your hand. You saw then the emotions he was fighting. He wasn't happy to say the least. "Stop that. You have used quite enough power, witchling," he told you firmly. He handed you a cup of hot tea and you gave him a small smile. He didn't return it.

You took a sip of the tea. "How pissed off are you?" you asked him softly.

"That is going to depend on the story you have to tell me, witchling," at least he wasn't pissed off enough yet to drop the terms of endearment. That was about the time he got dangerous.

"Thor didn't tell you?" you asked instead of starting the story. Damn Thunderer was supposed to tell him so he wouldn't worry.

"He told me you did something stupid you did not wish for me to know about, that you said you would be fine, and that I should not worry. Since then, they have all been busy with the strays you told them to bring back," Loki growled and his teacup exploded in his hands.

"Loki!" you dropped your teacup and it floated in the air next to you. You took Loki's hands to make sure he wasn't injured as the broken teacup and mess disappeared. You reached a hand up to cup his cheek, brushed your thumb over his lips, before you leaned up and kissed him. You had to check your handiwork, had to make sure he was really safe. You wrapped your arms around him. "I was so worried about you," you told him.

He held you too tightly for a moment. "I was terrified for you when you arrived at that place," he admitted. "I never wanted you to come after me,"

You scoffed. "You should have known better," you told him. He inclined his head with a small smile.

"I should have," he agreed softly. "I never wanted you to have to use your powers like that," he told you sadly.