Chapter 68

Unfortunately, all good things had to come to an end. You wouldn't say you enjoyed your few months as de facto Queen, but you loved seeing Loki on the throne. He was born to rule and he did it well when given a proper chance. He flourished at it and the people loved him once they knew they could trust his decisions, once he had proven he had their best interests at heart.

You had not only taken over Frigga's duties as head healer, but also her seat as head of the mage's council. The position would really go to Loki when Odin stepped down as king and Thor took over, but with Loki on the throne, he had needed you to take over the mage's council. It was strange to be giving orders and having actual authority over people, over not just the few healers in the healing wing, but having royal authority over all of the mages of the realm. It was overwhelming at times, but you managed and realized that you had earned the respect of the mages on the council with your ideas and you willingness to stand against ideas that weren't the best for the people. They hated it when you did it, but they were impressed that you'd stand against them.

You weren't technically supposed to have power, you weren't technically princess until you were married, but when the king gave you authority... even the temporary king, it was good enough.

Between you and Loki you kept the kingdom running smoothly. No major incidents besides your injury from the attack on Midgard. Loki had handled the giant attack well and giant attacks were normal occurrences here so it wasn't considered an incident.

You'd fallen into the roles of King and Queen and it had somehow felt like it was never going to end.

Unfortunately it all came crashing down around you when one of the Einherjar rushed into your chambers to inform Loki that Odin had finally woken from the Odinsleep. You and Loki both got out of bed quickly and dressed with magic so you could rush down to the healing wing. Though Loki didn't much care for Odin, for which you didn't blame him, Odin had still been his father for a millennia, and he couldn't help caring for him. He looked to the Einherjar who was standing outside of Loki's suite waiting for you and waiting for orders. For a little while longer at least, Loki was king.

Loki spared the man a glance. "Please send a message to Heimdall and ask him to inform Thor of the update on Father's condition," he bid the guard. Loki was eternally polite, and could even get more polite when agitated. He'd actually earned respect from some of the court for not losing his polite air because of his power.

You heard Odin's roars before you even entered the healing wing. "YOU LET A FROST GIANT SIT ON THE THRONE OF ASGARD?" he was roaring, presumably at Frigga. Loki stiffened beside you, and you saw the years of old pain haunt his eyes before he shut down his expression. Odin hadn't even give his son a chance. You led the way into the healing wing. For a little while longer, at least, it was still your domain and Loki was always your charge. Always. You wouldn't let Odin hurt him.

You paused when Frigga replied. Her voice was soft when she replied, but that quiet tone contrasted with Odin's roar in such a way that it would draw his attention from his rage. "No, your son did his duty to the realm and took on the burden of the throne,"

"The duty should have gone to Thor as firstborn," Odin replied sourly. He really hadn't wanted Loki on the throne and was trying a lame excuse to be mad that he had been there.

"This is not Midgard. You know perfectly well that the duty of the throne does not fall automatically to the firstborn, but to whichever of your heirs is best suited for the throne. Loki was best suited for the throne at this time. And he's done admirably at ruling," she adds with pride. "He and his lady both. The people respect him and his decisions, the realm is prospering, he cares for the people, and is a wonderful ruler. Sigyn has done remarkably as head healer and running the mage's council and the people absolute adore her," she had such pride in her words that it warmed your heart and you saw that Loki was reassured by it as well.

"They... did well?" Odin asked, his voice full of disbelief.

"They did absolutely wonderfully," Frigga replied warmly.

Loki was reassured enough that he could finish what he came down here to do. He opened the door to Odin's healing room and stepped inside with you at his side, your hand on his arm out of habit. Odin was sitting up in bed with Frigga sitting next to him, obviously delighted that he was awake and aware again.

Loki went straight over to the bed, standing close to Frigga, you followed, but stayed a step behind him. This was his family and his responsibility. "Father, thank the Norns you are alright," Loki told him a bit stiffly, for having overheard Odin's roar.

Odin looked displeased to see Loki instead of Thor first, but it would take Thor some time to get here from Earth. Loki steeled himself for his Father's displeasure. "Your mother tells me you have ruled Asgard well in my absence," he finally said.

"Mother is quite kind to say so," Loki replied humbly, though you could hear the pride in his words. He'd wanted to hear that he'd done well. "Are you prepared to resume the throne?" he asked the formal words the situation demanded.

"I am prepared," Odin answered just as formally. Loki handed Gungnir back to Odin when he stood from the hospital and gave his report of the goings on for the last three months. He spoke clearly, concisely, and included both the good and the bad of what happened during his reign. Odin actually for once seemed impressed with the decisions Loki had made in his absence and how well the realm was prospering.

In fact he was so impressed that:

"Well done, my son," Odin told him with actual pride in his eye. "Your Mother was correct in her assessment. You have done admirably." Loki's formal mask cracked ever so slightly and you saw the pure undiluted joy in his eyes that Odin had actually acknowledged that he had done something well.

The moment was ruined by Thor bursting into the healing room. "Father! You're well!" he boomed and embraced Odin, clapping him hard on the back.

You wrapped your arms around Loki and his arm automatically went around your shoulders as he kissed the top of your head. "He's proud of you," you told Loki warmly. He smiled down at you, his eyes shining.

"He is,"

That was all he had to say, but you saw the joy in his eyes and the pride that he was finally, finally worthy in Odin's eyes. You leaned up and stole a kiss. "Well done my king," you told him in a whisper.

"King no longer," he replied and seemed a bit grateful to have the responsibility off of his shoulders.

You grinned at him. "Always a king to me," you told him warmly. He grinned and held you closer leaning down to kiss you.

"And you will always be my queen,"