Chapter 23: A Firework Show

"Well, that's my cue." Mika said "Wish me luck!"

Kula nodded. "Break a leg." She said simply.

Mika grinned, walking out of the room as Kula headed up to the seating area, wanting to watch every second of the battle.
___________________

Mika and Kirishima were walking onto the field by the time Kula got up to the seating area, Present Mic announcing who they were.

"His strong skin makes it hard for anything to get through it, from the Hero Course Class 1-A it's Kirishima Eijiro! Versus a student who shows both power and pizazz with her quirk it's Hawajima Mika from the Support course 1-H!"

Kula watched as the two exchanged some words before Present Mic announced the start of the fight.

Immediately Kirishima hardened his skin and started running straight towards Mika with a loud battle cry.

Mika on the other hand stood her ground, the caps at the tips of her gloves opening up as fireworks shot out, aiming themselves straight towards Kirishima and exploding upon contact causing smoke to rise up around the stage. The first few fireworks didn't seem to affect Kirishima since the red haired boy burst out of the smoke seemingly unharmed and ran up towards Mika, taking some swings at the blonde.

"You can do it Mika!" Kishi encouraged, standing up from his seat and leaning against the rail. "I believe in you!"

Kula glanced at Kishi then back to the match, cheering for Mika quietly as the girl moved away from the attacking Kirishima and sent more fireworks at him.

"Look at them go! She might be a support course student but Hawajima is holding her own against the rocky Kirishima!" Present Mic announced.

Kirishima burst out of the smoke again, landing a punch on Mika's cheek, causing the blonde to stumble back a few steps as she held her cheek with one hand and shot out more fireworks with her free hand until he pulled away.

Kula could see that Kirishima was starting to move again, only he was slower than he was before. He ran towards Mika and once again tried to land an attack on her.

Mika took the chance to send a few fireworks at him with her fingers almost pressed right against his chest. Kirishima stumbled back at the attack, hunching over slightly as his hand hovered over the spot where Mika had just hit.

She got to him. Kula thought to herself. The fireworks had managed to break through his rocky skin after hitting him over and over again and wearing down his quirk. And as she watched Kula noticed that Mika noticed the same thing Kula did and she started running towards Kirishima, repetitively punching him in the spot where his defense was lowered.

"It looks like Hawajima is turning the tides of the battle! What happened to warrant this change?" Present Mic shouted in surprise.

Kishi was practically bouncing up and down next to Kula. "Come on Mika! We believe in you!" He shouted. "Mika! Mika! Mika!" His eyes were glowing as he watched the battle, the smile on his face shining like sunshine.

Kula gave a small smile before she turned her attention back to the battle, where Mika had almost gotten Kirishima out of boundaries.

Of course, Kirishima wasn't going willingly, he was trying to fight Mika back and did end up landing hits on the blonde, but overall Mika was using her fireworks to her advantage and was pushing him out of boundaries. They reached the edge and Kirishima started fighting her a bit more as he realized how close he was getting.

Mika reeled her arm back and landed a solid punch in Kirishima's chest that caused him to fall to the ground.

"Kirishima is out of bounds! Hawajima moves onto the next round!" Midnight announced as both Mika and Kirishima headed off the stage chatting a bit.

At that Kishi squealed, grabbing onto Kula's hand and pulling her from her seat. "Come on!" He shouted, dragging Kula down to the infirmary where Mika most likely walked to.

***

"Mika!" Kishi shouted as he burst into the recovery room and up to Mika who was sitting on the edge of one of the beds. "Are you okay?"

Mika looked at Kishi, giving him a reassuring smile. "Of course I am! A fight like that's not going to bring me down that easily!" She glanced up to see Kula standing behind Kishi, "Thanks for helping me develop a strategy, Kula!"

Kula shoved her hands into the gym uniform's pockets, "Whatever. It wasn't a big deal." She responded.

Mika just let out a chuckle and jumped off the bed, "I'm feeling good as new! Come on, let's go back to the seating area, I don't want to miss the next battle!"

"Yeah! It's between two 1-A students again, and I overheard that they were both really strong!" Kishi exclaimed as he moved to walk out of the room.

"Totally." Mika said a bit calmer as she followed after Kishi.

Kula was about to leave the room when a hand was placed on her shoulder. Jumping slightly, she turned around and discreetly got the person's hand to fall of her shoulder.

"You're Saito, right?" The person, Kirishima, asked.

Kula just looked at him silently as he gave her a toothy grin. "Good job on getting into U.A! I knew you weren't all that bad!" After saying that, he walked out of the room mentioning something about not wanting to miss his best friend's fight.

Kula turned and watched him leave the room, still slightly processing what Kirishima had said, and why it had made her eyes start watering. But most importantly, she didn't just use her quirk, or had an encounter with her parents, so why was there a stinging in her chest?