eleveN

there are so many directions i want this story to go, but for now im just going to try to shove it all into one thing. im kind of hating how its turning out, but i guess we'll see

also a small fyi, canada is america's older brother by almost a year, but they are still in the same grade

Being me is so hard.

America sighed. Not only was it hard to be him, but it was twice as hard when he had to room with someone so... cold as Russia. He thought back to a few minutes ago.

"Hey, I didn't say anything really embarrassing, did I?"

Russia lifted his head from his pillow and stared at America for a few seconds, calculating. "No," he finally said, flopping his head back down. "Nothing interesting."

America bit his fingernails as he continued down the hallway, climbing a flight of stairs. Oh man, I totally said something embarrassing.

And Russia didn't seem willing to tell America exactly what he had said last night, which made it even worse. I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about this, America realized, walking down another hallway and finally stopping in front of a door with blue and yellow paper leaves taped on it. He raised his fist to knock.

The door swung open before he had the chance. "Yeah man, I'll be back - oh, hey," Ukraine noticed America standing in front of him. "What're you doing here?"

Something about the blue and yellow country reminded America of Russia - which made sense, seeing as how they behaved as brothers. "Hey Ukraine!" America smiled, hiding his hands behind his back. "Is my bro here?"

"Uh, yeah," Ukraine opened the door a little wider. "I was just on my way out, so I'll leave you two alone I guess." He brushed past America.

"Catch you later!" America called as Ukraine hurried down the hall.

"Merica? 'S that you?" a voice called from inside the dorm room. America entered and closed the door behind him. Further inside, Canada was sitting on a ratty couch, watching hockey on a small TV screen.

"Hey bro!" America held his arms out. "It's me!"

"Merica!" Canada reached up and slapped one of his hands in a high five. "Haven't seen you for a few days! How've you been faring, eh?"

"Fine, I guess," America plopped down next to his brother. "How's rooming with flower boy?" he asked, referencing Ukraine's tendency to wearing flower crowns.

Canada gave him a toothy grin. "Eh, it's been tough, but I think Ukie is warming up to me!"

America snorted. "Ukie?"

Canada jabbed him with his elbow. "Yeah yeah, laugh it up, Not like you've got a nickname for your roommate too or anything."

"It's just a shortened version of his name."

"Yeah, but what is it he calls you - oh wait, that's right - Meri~" Canada mocked in a high voice. "You two must be pretty close for that level of nicknames, eh?"

America scratched his neck. "Uh, can we not talk about him right now?"

Canada looked curious. "Why not?"

Tapping his fingers together, America frowned. "We aren't really friends yet I think, and I don't think he'd appreciate me talking about him to you."

"He probably wouldn't mind," Canada decided. "Besides, there's not much to talk about other than the fact that he drinks way too much vodka. And..." he mumbled something America didn't catch before clearing his throat. "I hate to break it to you dude, but your friend is pretty boring."