Chapter 2: New School Year (Part 1)

Breakfast Table

"Naya (Shania's nickname), now that you're entering the new school year, I want you to take note of the responsibilities you have as a student," Christopher says at the breakfast table. "Oh my gosh, Chris! You went through this with me like a million times!" Shania replied rolling her eyes.

Christopher was worried because Shania almost did not graduate her previous school year as she was breaking school rules, flunking her exams and not doing homework. If it wasn't for their parents, who put in a large donation to her school, Shania would probably be expelled.

"Yes Naya, and I will not stop reminding you that I am no longer going to be lenient with you this year. I've spoken with Mom and Dad and we have agreed that we are no longer sparing you from physical punishments. You only have yourself to thank for that," Chris added. "I have also met up with your school's principal and teachers. They have my number on speed dial so if you start acting up or messing around, be prepared to face the consequences when you get home. Now stop using your phone and finish up your pancakes, we're leaving in 3 minutes!"

Maybe it's because it's the first day of school, but Naya never has time to sit down to have breakfast. Their housekeeper, Tina, usually has to pack her breakfast in a container for Naya to eat in the car.

Upon reaching school, Chris made sure to remind Naya of her 5 pm curfew before giving her a hug and seeing her head into the school grounds with her backpack.

The School's Assembly Hall

"Naya! I saved you a seat here!" waving Bethany, Naya's bestfriend. "Oh my gosh, I missed you so much. You're so lucky you get to spend the entire school break traveling!" but Naya shook her head disagreeing to what Bethany said. "All I did was to head to my parent's home in Jakarta. I don't have friends there, the only time I'm able to leave the house was when I accompanied my Mom whenever she went to the mall. I would kill to be in Singapore for school break!"

The assembly started and the principal came up the stage to greet the students. She also introduced new teachers to the school. During the entire assembly, Bethany and Shania were happily whispering to each other to catch up after not seeing each other for more than a month. "Would Bethany and Shania like to share with the rest of the school what is so interesting that they've been chatting non-stop since the start of this assembly?" the principal asked on stage which led everyone to look at Bethany and Shania's direction. Both Bethany and Shania turned red and shook their heads vigorously before the principal continued the assembly. While wrapping up the assembly, the principal said: "I would like Bethany and Shania to meet me at my office after this assembly." Both girls didn't even dare to look at each other.

The Principal's Office

While waiting for the principal to reach the office, Shania and Bethany were silent. Shania didn't know what to expect. She was reminded of the warnings Chris gave, but she was unsure if physical punishments were just a threat or if he would administer it for real. Whatever it was, Shania was scared.

The talk with the principal didn't go as bad as expected. As the principal had a lot of things to take care of, she let the girls off with a stern warning.

The rest of the school day went uneventfully. Shania caught up with her friends and realized that most of them were in the same class as her. The entire day was taken up to conduct introductions of teachers and students.