Chapter 18: Stealing (Part 4)

"How is she doing?" Chris asked Tina as soon as he entered the apartment.
"She's asleep, I managed to feed her some porridge before giving her a fever reducer," replied Tina.

Despite saying that he won't be home for lunch, Chris still couldn't bring himself to ignore the fact that his sister was sick. He left even before finishing his cup of coffee.

Chris took his laptop and went to sit on Shania's armchair that is beside her bed. He sat there quietly to do some work-related readings while waiting for his sister to wake up. 

Shania stirred in her sleep and started to whine in her slumber. Chris dropped whatever he was doing and went to Shania to try to calm her down. He patted her head and Shania woke up not long after.

Shania saw Chris looking concerned when she opened her eyes.
"I'm sorry, Chris, please .." Shania started speaking up.
"Shh... Let's not talk about that right now," Chris interrupted Shania.
"But I want to live with you, please don't send me back to Papa and Mama," begged Shania as she starts to cry.
"Naya, we'll talk about this when you're better," Chris said.
"No! Please promise that you won't send me away," Shania begged as she held Chris's arm and cry.
"No sweetie, I'm not going to send you away. Let's talk about this once you feel better," reassured Chris.
Shania nodded and Chris wiped her tears away with his palm and planted a kiss on her head.
"Try to get some more sleep now, I'll be right beside you," Chris told his sister as he adjusted her blanket and pillow.

"I love you, Chris," Shania told her brother as she laid down.
"I love you too, Naya," Chris said as he planted another kiss on her forehead.